Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive contracts.

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
1 of 8

Good morning/afternoon/evening

I do not want inactive contracts to have an effect on my JSS. Both of these contracts have had completed milestones, and in the fixed term contract additional bonus payment.

I have a pasued contract (hourly) the client hasn't had any work for me to do for over 1 month. Although he did indicate that the end of Jan would be the next traunch of work. 

When should I cancel the contract if no work comes along? 

I have a fixed term contract that the client hasn't added any further milestones yet( 3 completed) indicated more to come, but nothing as yet and no response to messaging.

When i should i cancel this contract?

Pete

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

I don't let anything sit inactive for more than 3 months. 

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
3 of 8

Petra

Thank you, I will whack them at the 2 month point inactivity or lack of communication.

Pete

drago_palalic
Dragoljub P Member Since: Dec 3, 2015
4 of 8

I have the same 'issue' One of the contracts was active for months(regular work) but at the end of November, a client said that he doesn't have more work - now but will leave contract open. My JSS hasn't been affected by this and it has actually increased to 96% now. 

I'll probably cancel in the next month if nothing appears. 

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 8

@Petra R wrote:

I don't let anything sit inactive for more than 3 months. 

If I was a bawdy, sexist, racist, alcoholic, chain-smoking comedian from the 80's (you know the type!)... then I'd be forced to make a quip about getting rid of my wife at this point. I'm not though (and I don't have a wife), so I won't.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
pcvasconcellos
Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
6 of 8

Hi peter.

I've had a similiar problem a while ago, and this is what I was told:

- For hourly contracts, there's no time limit for innactivity which will impact on your JSS. UpWork will pause it if it's innactive for too long, and your client can unpause when they wish to.

- For fixed price contracts, no one actually knows the precise time limit pefore your JSS goes down! I wouldn't let it pass six weeks though - it was the advice I got from other freelancers.

Write to your client, see if there's any upcoming work; if not, explain the situation, say you'll be available when they want to continue the work, and close the contract.

Good luck!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 8

Hi Patricia,

- For hourly contracts, there's no time limit for innactivity which will impact on your JSS. UpWork will pause it if it's innactive for too long, and your client can unpause when they wish to.

To clarify, Hourly contracts are paused after 30 days of inactivity but both Hourly and Fixed-Price contract might negatively affect the Job Success Score if they are left open without any activity for a prolonged period of time.

Untitled
nativecreativet
Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
8 of 8

@Peter L wrote:

When i should i cancel this contract?

You shouldn't.

I recently closed some open contracts, cos I'm a freak with odd habits and compulsions and I just can't stand things being open and uncompleted. Those contracts had been idle for a week or two and it was bugging me so much! I just couldn't resist closing them. So I closed them all.

It smashed my JSS down to 75%. Baaaaam.

This doesn't hurt me though, cos my clients love me anyway and now I've got more work than ever. But for someone else it might have been the end of their Upwork career. So... just don't do it. Always ask the clients to close contracts from their side.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS