cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inappropriate Client Behaviour

Ace Contributor
Muhammad A Member Since: Aug 24, 2018
1 of 8

During chat with him he got annoyed over me. He was asking me to work on about 70 to 80 images. He offered $110. He also said me to design 2 banners in same price. I just asked him will I have to design banners in this $110. He replied I am not going to work with. Then I sincerely suggested him that if he has low funds he can hire someone new on upwork he may work in even $50 because I have a lot of other works to do and time is precious. After that the problem started he replied in very rude way and said I know Freelancers who work in $50 and I replied I also know clients who paid me $100 for 5 images and it was not taunting or rude answer I told him truth because client paid me $100 for just 1 hour of work on 5 images in this week. He then said don't annoy me I will report you. I flagged him and blocked him, because it is just a bad and disgusting if a freelancer is not willing to work in proposed price they blackmail them by saying I will report you. He declined my proposal with feedback as a rude behaviour. I just want to make sure that these type of clients should be treated fairly who behaves in such a way to freelancers because his feedback can affect my profile. Thanks

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

Never argue with a customer. You can never win an argument with a customer.

Even if you win the argument, you lose the client, your time, your peace of mind.

The customer did not want to pay your price, you did not want to work for what he was offering.

To then get into some ridiculous argument over who is willing to pay for / accept what, was completely unprofessional and unneccessary.

Do I think the client's behaviour was professional? Probably not.

Nor was yours.

Learn how to negotiate properly, and when to say "Thanks, but that won't work for me, I wish you all the best of luck with your project!" and then leave it well alone.

Ace Contributor
3 of 8

I just want now that he has declined my proposal with reason as rude or annoying. Will it affect my job success score?  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

@Muhammad A wrote:

I just want now that he has declined my proposal with reason as rude or annoying. Will it affect my job success score?  

No, it won't.

But your behaviour was very unprofessional. In future, if an offer does not agree with you, politely tell the client that your price and their budget don't align and move the hell on. That's it.

Ace Contributor
5 of 8

Yes, you are right thanks for reply, it irritated me when he said in bad way I know freelancers who work in $50. But okay I will take care next time. Thanks again

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

Every single freelancer working on Upwork benefits when we (as freelancers) behave professionally, politely, and treat clients with respect.

Even if a client doesn't deserve respect. That is irrelevent.

I earn more money as a freelancer due to all the other freelancers who help maintain Upwork's reputation as a place that clients can go to as a professional, respectful platform.

Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
7 of 8

This is what you get when you race to the bottom on your pricing --- if you lift your rate out of the gutter, you'll find better clientele!

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 8

mohammad - As others have said, to argue with a customer is unprofessional. Whether you're right or not, to start saying how much you made previously, how precious your time is, how you  have other work and to tell him to go find other freelancers for $50 is, IMO, so childish. 

You could have nicely and professionally tell him that his budget doesn't work with the prices you charge. and be done with it. Move on.

Or,

You could have said, I can't do all the work you requested for the budget you have, but for that budget I can do xxxx and xxx. If you need additional enhancements, I charge xxx for xxx. 

And then take it from there. He'll either agree to the work you'll do for the price you quoted, or he will move on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS