Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inappropriate job offer

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dragana S Member Since: May 22, 2016
1 of 8

Dear freelancers,

I'm new to Upwork. I have made several proposals so far, and for one of them the client messaged me asking for my e-mail address but at the same time declining my proposal as: inappropriate job offer. I saw this only after I provided them with my e-mail address and there I found their instructions which were quite strange: they were asking me to deposit money on their skrill account as a waranty that Im taking my job seriously? Should I report this to Upwork? Thanks in advance!

Happy freelancing everyone,

Dragana S.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 8
This widget could not be displayed.

@Dragana S wrote:

Dear freelancers,

I'm new to Upwork. I have made several proposals so far, and for one of them the client messaged me asking for my e-mail address but at the same time declining my proposal as: inappropriate job offer. I saw this only after I provided them with my e-mail address and there I found their instructions which were quite strange: they were asking me to deposit money on their skrill account as a waranty that Im taking my job seriously? Should I report this to Upwork? Thanks in advance!

Happy freelancing everyone,

Dragana S.

This was fraud. Report the client to customer service and stop communicating with him. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Highlighted
Community Guru
Delwar H Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
3 of 8

SCAM. 

And, yes you should Flag the job posting and Report to UpWork CS. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Dragana,

The job you are referring to has already been removed.

Thank you for your report.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jan S Member Since: May 22, 2016
5 of 8

deposit money = fund milestone?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

re: "deposit money = fund milestone?"

No, Jan. This is not about funding a milestone. The original poster is talking about a scammer posing as a client who asked the contractor for money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

So obviously original poster Dragana did not fall for this scammer. Good for her. She is too smart to fall for that.

But I wonder how many people do fall for this. Does anyone?

Just how ignorant must a contractor be to actually pay money into a client's Skrill account in an effort to get a job? To me this is even dumber than the check scam, because at least with the check scam there is a veneer of money flowing in the contractor's direction. When a "client" starts out right off the bat asking for money, that seems doubly ridiculous because that's the opposite of what contractors came here for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 8

@Dragana S wrote:
but at the same time declining my proposal as: inappropriate job offer.
when you see: "inappropriate job offer" as a decline reason it means that Upwork, NOT the client has ended the candidacy and has killed off the job posting. You may still be able to see it for a while but for all intents and purposes it was killed off.
In those cases you actually also get your connects back...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS