Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Inconsistent JS Metrics

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
11 of 24

"None of the other metrics correspond. There cannot be discrepancy where there is no basis of comparison,"

They may not correspond, but they are relative to Elance data... specifically long-term clients. In that regard I think repeat clients is a fair and useful measurement, perhaps more so than the method "long term" clients are calculated by.

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
12 of 24

Ultimately my point is this:

How does a freelancer ranked 213 out of over 300,000 freelancers on one platform not achieve "top rated" status on the new platform?

Which platform is more accurate? Am I to believe Elance's metrics have been wrong for as long as I can remember?

Or, are the new metrics skewed?

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
13 of 24

Both are accurate. It just becomes unfair when you bring a profile from Elance to Upwork when the contractor has few cancelled jobs & some other unrated job.

I have covered this before but the most important ones are:

• Rating is optional on Elance but required on Upwork. 
  • Cancelled jobs do not affect your profile on Elance but on Upwork they do. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 24

I thought cancelled jobs do affect your rate on Elance? 

My last big gig fell off my 6 month rolling period and I dropped like a stone on Elance in the writing section. I do barely anything in IT and sit at 8. Still holding strong here. We'll see how long it lasts.

I'm definitely gonna try to leverage this blue badge and see if it helps.

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
15 of 24

Jennifer, 

It does when you receive a partial payment. This is when your client can leave public and private feedback. However, this have no impact on your level if you cancel the job without receiving money for that job. This has been confirmed to me by a Customer Support representative on Elance. 

Wassim 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 24

@Wassim T wrote:

Jennifer, 

It does when you receive a partial payment. This is when your client can leave public and private feedback. However, this have no impact on your level if you cancel the job without receiving money for that job. This has been confirmed to me by a Customer Support representative on Elance. 

Wassim 

oh, interesting. Thanks for that. I always thought cancelled affected you. I never had a cancellation until this year! Even my dispute really didn't affect me much. What affected me was when my monthly big gigs started dropping off after I didn't work much on Elance and came back. 

But, I never thought levels mattered much on Elance. I'm the lowest I've ever been and still get nice invites.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 24

@Tim H wrote:

....How does a freelancer ranked 213 out of over 300,000 freelancers on one platform not achieve "top rated" status on the new platform?

Elance rankings are relative against all contractors or companies. Upwork's Job Success score, and its dependent Top Rated status, is not. 

...Am I to believe Elance's metrics have been wrong for as long as I can remember?

Yes. Elance's metrics have always been skewed toward revenue volume. This was somewhat reformed when they started giving greater weight to successful outcomes—the theoretical basis of the Job Success score—and consequently lowered the ranking of a bunch of farmers, including some of their top earners. If you look at the remaining metrics used to calculate "points," you'll see that many if not most of them are still revenue/"productivity"-driven.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
18 of 24

@Tim H wrote:

How does a freelancer ranked 213 out of over 300,000 freelancers on one platform not achieve "top rated" status on the new platform?

The same reason a lot of developers on Elance and even on Upwork don't cut it on Toptal.

Ron aka LanWanMan
lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
19 of 24

No offense Tim, but based on your Elance stats alone, if I were looking for a top notch programmer I doubt I would hire you. Only 13 jobs and only 9 reviews, where's the other 4. Only 981 hours. Your competing with programmers here on Upwork that have way over 5,000 hours; some over 10,000 hours. As far as Elance stats vs. Upwork stats, it's apples and oranges--two different worlds.

Ron aka LanWanMan
setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
20 of 24

Ronald,

You'll get Tim angry, and have him reel off his staggering portfolio once again.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS