Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent JS Metrics

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
1 of 24

This may have already been discussed here, but have a look at the following metrics. One is my Upwork profile and the other Elance. They do not appear to be consistent whatsoever. 

On Elance I was recently in the top 50, and currently ranked 213 (*Out of 329,198 individuals). On Upwork I'm not even top-rated.

This is a 12-month shanpshot on Elance:

elance-profile.jpg

And of course Upwork's JS metric

upwork-profile.jpg

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
2 of 24

I do quite a bit of work with algorithms, data collection and analysis, and these metrics are just not accurate.

1+1 doesn't equal 3. No matter how you do the math.

I'm sure this JS idea was a good one... keep the data private so freelancers/clients wouldn't be able to exploit it. I'm sure the idea was to better measure freelancer's performance in the hopes of improving the platform.

But, it's not working!

I'm sure there's a room full of engineers declaring their calculations are correct, probably some suits in another office brainstorming ways to improve the JS metric.

But, it's a horrible idea.

Get rid of it.

Whatever perceived benefit to the JS metric said suits and engineers are rooted in, trust me when I tell you the loss of loyalty and the impact it's having on the platform's users far outweighs the possible benefits.

muhmasood
Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
3 of 24

I am agree with you .Man Indifferent

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 24

Tim,

I am not familar with Elance's metrics, but it looks like it was based on the star system, which the Job Success Score is not based on the star system. Previously it was based on just public feedback and what the client rated you publically here. Now it is based heavily on private feedback, jobs complete, refunds given, jobs not completed. If you had a lot of jobs that were refunded or not completed it counts against you. If you had feedback less then 9-10 on the questions ask privately it affects your score.

Looking at your profile you have a lot of jobs with no feedback that counts against you as well.

Mind you I am not for the JS just explaining to you on JS vs what it looks like Elance based it on the star rating systems.

Sadly many top rated have dropped to below top rated status because of private feedback which weighs heavily.

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
5 of 24

Good points, Suzanne. However, here's why Elancers are seeing strange stats on their Upwork profiles:

• Rating/Feedback is not required after finishing the job on Elance.
  • Rating/Feedback for repeating clients after two jobs do not have any impact on profiles on Elance. This is why most repeating clients stop providing feedback because it has no effect.
  • Clients & Contractors won't be able to rate each other after 2 months from finishing the job. So asking your old clients to rate you on old jobs again on Elance is not practical or possible for all jobs (besides of course not being professional).
  • On Elance, cancelled jobs are not necessary a bad sign and can be a result of the client needing to simply cancel out a job, or close out one job to open a second one (happened to me couple of times).

I hope this helps Elancers. I'm ranked too high on Elance (top 500 in the entire community & on all categories) but on Upwork I've got an 88% JS. We can't do anything about it. Either keep complaining about it (nothing will change btw) or work hard to finish more jobs on Upwork and improve your score.

I know it's not fair, but I decided to work hard and improve my score. Also, I wouldn't let a number to stand as a barrier from my success. I think a good proposal is the key to winning any job.

Best regards,

Wassim

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
6 of 24

"Previously it was based on just public feedback and what the client rated you publically here."

The recommend metric on Elance is based on private feedback.

christian1220
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
7 of 24

Tim, have you completed any project on Upwork that might have lowered your score?

If not...

I understand the frustration, I would be unhappy too if I was told to merge my account and then see a drop like this.

However, don't make the assumption that Elance way to measure performance is the same with Upwork JSS. I mean, I never heard someone said "Hey, we have this algorithm from Elance and we are implementing it exactly the same on Upwork". Some things may have changed and yeah, it's annoying when one platform shows a performance score and other shows a different score for the same work!!!

From my own experience I can say that increasing JSS is not such a big deal ( not saying it's super easy though ), if that's what you really want. 

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
8 of 24

"Tim, have you completed any project on Upwork that might have lowered your score?"

I have not. I have one ongoing job (a referral) which I just recently started.

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 24

The JSS also only takes into account the last 12-24 months. So if you did good work for 5 years and received good ratings, yet took on a contract that spanned over two years and received a less than stellar rating, that's all Upwork will remember you for. A+ for loyalty.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 24

Tim,

The recommend rate is discrepant, possibly due to some nuanced time-basis difference.

The star ratings are in accord. Elance rounds to one decimal place, Upwork two.

None of the other metrics correspond. There cannot be discrepancy where there is no basis of comparison,

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS