Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent JS Metrics

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
21 of 24

I would "comment," but then they would start deleting our posts again..lol....

Ron aka LanWanMan
creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
22 of 24

Ronald, 

I think Tim is doing great. He's at level 11 so do not underestimate this. 

I've been doing really well recently and always swing between level 9 and 10.

I think I have over 60 jobs but Tim is doing better because of the quality of work he handles. I usually work on rush projects and this is why I have more jobs completed. However, Tim works on less projects with higher values which take more time to achieve and are generally harder to finish. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
23 of 24

Wassim, I appreciate your comments and explanation regarding the differences that can exist with regard to programmers / developers' success between individual freelancers on Elance. Actually, you illustrated my point as further discussed in this post.

Those differences between individual freelancers exist with groups of freelancers working in every individual job category; those differences become magnified when freelancers within each job category work across multiple freelancer platforms. Add to the mix that freelancers today work in a global economy, and outcomes become even more inconsistent or 'different.'

Why the differences? Why the conspicuously inconsistent outcomes? Simple, because there are no baselines or standards (or even governmental regulations) that those multiple freelancer platforms choose or must adhere to.

For instance, in contrast to the "freelance world," participants in the "corporate world" might adhere to international standards for "quality," which in most cases impose requirements to "establish and document" policies, procedures, and work instructions (how to's) for all functional areas within an organization. Certainly, procedures and work instructions defining how each individual organization meets or exceeds policy requirements might differ greatly.

Nonetheless, the outcomes must meet policy requirements--the requirements of the applicable standards. Hence, a baseline or baselines from which all outcomes can be ethically, effectively, and economically monitored and measured in a consistent manner.

Upwork has tried to establish workable, fair baselines for performance measurement (aka algorithms or "mad robots"). They have tried to measure outcomes for each individual freelancer across a wide array of job categories, hours worked, feedback and ratings, earnings, etc. Where Upwork has failed is that instead of simplifying the process they appear to have made everything unnecessarily complex; thus "fragmented" (The "PhD influence," perhaps?).

Differences...languages, cultural differences, political views, economies of scale, education, skills and abilities...opinions, biases, and humanity.... Whether we like it or not, we are all one, and we had better start respecting that every day, everywhere--freelancers worldwide working together.

Tim, are you a team player or a fierce competitor? We all make choices.... At the moment I can only think of one amenable answer to the question.

Ron aka LanWanMan
creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
24 of 24

That's some awesome stuff, Ronald. If it was possible I would follow you. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS