cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Connects

sipallob
Saiful Islam P Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
31 of 59

if my earn is not much so how it possible for me. let me know please.

it is the great business of upwork.

makeyourmark
Ace Contributor
Mark G Member Since: Jan 25, 2015
32 of 59

I think that claims that 60 connects is enough are not entirely correct.

I'm a top rated freelancer with 5 star feedback. This month is my first month self-employed full-time. (Having had a month or two of a break from freelancing). I made this decision on the back of my recent success.

In my opinion, my cover letter and portfolio are relatively strong. However 60 connects (30 applications) has not been enough for me. Naturally, I cannot expect to land every job I apply for - but sure, I've had a few jobs.

I'm looking for enough work to keep me working full-time - a handful of small jobs is not enough. Half of the jobs I apply for just sit there idle without anyone being hired - more wasted connects.

Sometimes, I get a job only for it to last much less time than initially stated (not down to my ability - simply because the client has changed their mind regarding what they want or they simply can't afford it anymore).

It's the 17th of August and I have about 6 connects left. 60 connects is not enough for someone in my situation. It may well be enough after several months once I have a few long-term contracts that provide a decent amount of hours per week.

So, quite simply, 60 connects is not enough in some cases. I could pay for a premium membership and also (on top of that) pay for connects but I'm not sure I agree with the concept.

reichstephen
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
33 of 59

I feel your pain Mark. I am in the same boat.

I'm looking for enough work to keep me working full-time - a handful of small jobs is not enough. Half of the jobs I apply for just sit there idle without anyone being hired - more wasted connects.

Exactly!

4.5 million Freelancers on upwork.

You get 60 free connects, thats 30 job applications. Add plus membership and you can apply for 5 more proposals and if pigs fly they roll some over. Oh boy!

After rebranding Upwork anounces they will officially merge Elance into Upwork.

Hello 2.3 million new collegues!!!

Are 30 job proposals a month really enough to deal with the new influx of competition?

If you add 2.3 million friends, shouldn't you give us more connects.

If we do that Mark and I would be applying to so many jobs the system would crash! Oh the horror!

On another note what the FUDGE happened to all the personal job invites? Is that broke to?

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
34 of 59

"If you add 2.3 million friends, shouldn't you give us more connects."

Large numbers of Elancers have no intention of moving here. Some who did move have already closed their accounts.

However, giving people more connects as a response doesn't make much sense. The whole point of connects is to reduce the number of proposals for each job. Having more freelancers with more connects each is going to have exactly the opposite effect.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
reichstephen
Community Guru
35 of 59

"Large numbers of Elancers have no intention of moving here. Some who did move have already closed their accounts."

Where do you get your facts? What does Large numbers mean? Back up your statements with facts not biased statemants. 

Many US. Based Elance Graphic artists are very talented. Cant speak about the rest. If good talent left what does that tell you?  This is an example of me not spinning tales to back up the facts.

If i had 30 professional clients then yes 60 connects is enough. But unfortunatly that is not the case.

Can't wait for Upwork to institute this feature:

Connects are virtual tokens you need to submit in order to apply for a job. If you’re invited to apply or are being rehired, you won’t need to use any Connects. All other applications require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of job. Initially, most jobs require about 2 Connects.

Up to 5 connects for a job? Good times are a comin!

fergusm1970
Community Guru
36 of 59

"Where do you get your facts?"

From talking to fellow Elancers. A high proportion of active Elancers are diversifying into non-platform freelancing rather than coming here.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
reichstephen
Community Guru
37 of 59

"Where do you get your facts?"

From talking to fellow Elancers. A high proportion of active Elancers are diversifying into non-platform freelancing rather than coming here.

You are amazing.

By talking to fellow Elancers? 

I'm speechless.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
38 of 59

"By talking to fellow Elancers?"

Yes. It's a surprisingly accurate way to find out what Elancers think.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
39 of 59

Fergus,

Albeit good information on your part it still is not an accurate fact since Elance has thousands of freelancers you would need to speak to 1000's to justify a statement you are making. 

I know a lot of Upwork people have left the platform since the changes but 10 - 20 I have spoke to does not consistute the whole of Upwork.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
40 of 59

This is true, Suzanne, but it'll be interesting to track the total number of people on Upwork and how it compares with the total on both platforms before the closure of Elance. I know that most of the more successful Elancers I've spoken to are planning to diversify rather than rely on Upwork as a main source of jobs. That's certainly my plan; until recently over 95% of my work came from Elance, and I just don't see that happening here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS