52 of 59

@Arpit D wrote:

60 is very less amount its not good for newcommer 

I agree with Alexander.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
53 of 59

If you find the usual free number of connects insufficient to attract enough work, something is wrong with how you post cover letters, or your skills, including communication skills. I really suggest you to try to improve this, or this will amount to spamming.

jacob_ramsin
Ramsin J Member Since: Jan 4, 2018
54 of 59
Wrong (previous guy). There are literally over 300 jobs posted within the week that I am capable of doing.

Guess what, I want to apply to each and every one of them. Why? Why not! If I get the majority or even half of the bids thats more cash for myself.

60 connects is nothing. Thats only 30 proposals a month. Even the additional 10 connects to make it 70 is nothing.

I use UpWork on the other side as well finding freelancers for my businesses. I can assure you, I would love to receive over 100 inquiries vs the limited few due to freelancers caution because of the amount of connects given per month.

All in all its a stupid system. It should be open for freelancers to freely apply if they know they can complete the job. Leave it to the employers to decipher through all the bids. As a business owner, I want to see all the options out there.

Hope someone from Upwork reads this and changes the system.
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
55 of 59

@Ramsin J wrote:
 If I get the majority or even half of the bids thats more cash for myself.

Do you win the majority or even half of your bids?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
56 of 59

Ramsin,

@Ramsin J wrote:
Wrong (previous guy). There are literally over 300 jobs posted within the week that I am capable of doing.
I wonder what kind of expertise you are offering.

Guess what, I want to apply to each and every one of them. Why? Why not! If I get the majority or even half of the bids thats more cash for myself.

There's nothing there to stop you on applying to all of them. You can buy any number of connects. Just go ahead and spend $600 to apply on 300 jobs. If you are sure to win half of the bids that would be a worthwhile investment. Somethings tells me you are not even now winning 10% of your bids.

60 connects is nothing. Thats only 30 proposals a month. Even the additional 10 connects to make it 70 is nothing.

I use UpWork on the other side as well finding freelancers for my businesses. I can assure you, I would love to receive over 100 inquiries vs the limited few due to freelancers caution because of the amount of connects given per month.

Finding freelancers doesn't cost you anything, you just have to post a job. It's free. If freelancers don't apply to your jobs it just might be, that not the lack of connects is the reason but what you are willing to pay. I have ample connects left but just won't apply on jobs that are not worth my time; worse, would bankrupt me in no time. Take me as an example. If I would quote on translation jobs paying only $0.01 per word I could only make $400 a month = I'd be bankrupt in no time at all.

All in all its a stupid system. It should be open for freelancers to freely apply if they know they can complete the job. Leave it to the employers to decipher through all the bids. As a business owner, I want to see all the options out there.
If the employers would have to weed through hundreds of proposals not worth looking at there would be no employers on Upwork left. Time is money.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
57 of 59

Ramsin,

Please, refer to my reply to your post on this thread.

At the moment there are no plans to change current connects system.

Thank you for your feedback.

~ Valeria
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
58 of 59

@Ramsin J wrote:

I highly doubt your win rate is "majority" or "half". But if it was, are you saying you could complete 150 jobs a week? Even if you work 7 days that's over 20 jobs a day. Even if you work 10 hour days that's more than 2 jobs an hour...

I recently suggested a friend use Upwork to find help with a small writing/editing task. As a brand new client they still received over 20 proposals in 24 hours, without sending any invites. About a third of the proposals were very high quality and they had a good selection to choose from. Another third were complete rubbish EVEN WITH the limited connects available in the system. I shudder to think how much more rubbish they would have received if there were unlimited connects. 

"If they know they can complete the job" - but freelancers, especially the bottom feeders, already apply to jobs they certainly can't do. The friend I mentioned above was receiving poorly edited proposals full of spelling and grammar errors and clearly non-native English phrases for a writing/editing task. Personally, as a long-term experienced client, I would hate to receive the hundreds of low-quality spam proposals that would inevitably attach themselves to my job posts if connects were unlimited. It's already hard enough to filter out the trash. I don't want to be seeing the trash. Limited connects tries to mitigate it by encouraging freelancers to be more selective with their bids.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
59 of 59

@Ramsin J wrote:

"Capable of doing" is a horrible standard for choosing which jobs to bid on. There are thousands, perhaps tens or hundreds of thousands of freelancers who are "capable of doing" each of those jobs. The freelancers who succeed here are those who focus their efforts on jobs that are a perfect match for their skills, and which they can perform better than most or all of the competition.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS