cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly unfair treatment by client. I just need to vent.

romybian
Romina B Member Since: May 7, 2019
11 of 15

Thanks Tom! Good luck to you too. Don't back down. Smiley Happy 

For those interested in the soap opera:

He came back to me today, trying to convince me that Upwork was on his side beccause allegedly he talked to them before cancelling the project and they not only recommended that he neded the contract, but they told him he should request a refund of the $200 that he had paid for the first milestone. Can anyone imagine upwork suggesting that to a client? To keep the files, use them, and take the money back from me.

I sure can't. And I sure hope that's a lie. 

I responded with a NOVEL. Respectfully calling him out on every issue in his review and explaining to him that the Arbitration fee would get me back to 0 if it ruled in my favor and that I would lose almost $300 if it didn't, and that I was absolutely fine with that because I am not about to let anybody treat me this way for the first time in 10 years. 

Stay tuned for the next episode. XD

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 15

Romina B wrote:

I responded with a NOVEL

Save your breath for the dispute.

The client actually CAN dispute the initial $ 200. That much is true, but he can use no part of the work as it has not been paid for, so you could ask him to take it down, but at this stage I would not as it will be a trump up your sleeve further down the line.

The arbitration fee will not leave you at 0 if he is going to dispute the $ 200 already paid as well as the $ 300 in Escrow....

but i am pretty sure that client will not go for arbitration, so your best bet is to stand firm, not agree to anything, and simply state that you will go for arbitration because you did what was contractually agreed to be done.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
13 of 15

Romina B wrote:

Thanks Tom! Good luck to you too. Don't back down. Smiley Happy 

For those interested in the soap opera:

He came back to me today, trying to convince me that Upwork was on his side beccause allegedly he talked to them before cancelling the project and they not only recommended that he neded the contract, but they told him he should request a refund of the $200 that he had paid for the first milestone. Can anyone imagine upwork suggesting that to a client? To keep the files, use them, and take the money back from me.

I sure can't. And I sure hope that's a lie. 

I responded with a NOVEL. Respectfully calling him out on every issue in his review and explaining to him that the Arbitration fee would get me back to 0 if it ruled in my favor and that I would lose almost $300 if it didn't, and that I was absolutely fine with that because I am not about to let anybody treat me this way for the first time in 10 years. 

-----------------

This client may very well be telling sort of the truth. When you start a dispute there's 2 phases to it. The first is that a mediator from Upwork will suggest either to you or the client to refund what's in escrow, or to cancel/close the project etc. The word is SUGGEST. Upwork';s mediator can only make suggestions and/or give advice but at times, it sounds like a binding decision. It is not. After mediation the next phase is arbitration and that's where the $291 fee and a BINDING decision from an arbitrator not associated with Upwork is used. 

This widget could not be displayed.
14 of 15
This widget could not be displayed.

The "Upwork said" line is a classic = "I'm gonna tell your Mom!"

UW gave him options, he chose to try to box his way out of a corner because that's what they do when they're trying to get out of paying. He's flailing.

I would sit back and not write any more to him. Follow the mediation process, and be clear and professional. Let him become hysterical and incoherent. You'll win, and he will be gone.    

romybian
Romina B Member Since: May 7, 2019
15 of 15

Thanks for all the great advice! 

Time to pop some corn and wait. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS