cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

India GST

Nirbhay T Member Since: Nov 22, 2016
1 of 289

Since GST is launching in India from 1 July 2017

I am very concermed about it, Is GST is applicable on Upwork Income?

Please guide me , also I request to upwork team to reasearch on it and write a guideline ,as 100 thousands of freelancers will be affected from this.

Community Leader
Zeeshan T Member Since: Jul 4, 2016
2 of 289

Yeah this post was really needed. I wonder if bank transection from Upwork is going to be affected or not.

"Not a minor"
Anjali V Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
3 of 289

Did any one receivd FIRC for the LFT? I contacted ICICI today and they said they can't provide FIRC for this transaction 

as they received money via NEFT in INR?

Did any bank so far provided FIRC for LFT?

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
4 of 289

@Nirbhay T wrote:

Since GST is launching in India from 1 July 2017

I am veru concermed about it, Is GST is applicable on Upwork Income?

Please guide me , also I request to upwork team to reasearch on it and write a guideline ,as 100 thousands of freelancers will be affected from this.

It looks like India is going to be GST-ready soon, Nirbhay.  Freelancers may now be able to file their taxes at home.  This is great news!  From what I have read, it looks like freelancers who "sell" software via online schemes will have less tax burdens.  However, there remains an unavoidable service tax which comprises of 15% of the net income of each freelancer.  

In regards to GST being compulsory for every freelancer coming from India, I think it will defeat the purpose of why we fill-in our W-8BEN.

Source: https://cleartax.in/s/impact-analysis-freelancers-under-gst

Nirbhay T Member Since: Nov 22, 2016
5 of 289

Thanks for your Response.

The main concern is how will we decide either we come under GST or not

For example if someone making ₹5,00,000 ( Apprx $8500) have to pay GST ?

Or there any slab for it

Please I will request Upwork team to research from authentic sources and help all of our Indian Freelancers 

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
6 of 289

@Nirbhay T wrote:

Thanks for your Response.

The main concern is how will we decide either we come under GST or not

For example if someone making ₹5,00,000 ( Apprx $8500) have to pay GST ?

GST is synonymous with VAT so if you know the limit then automatically you will qualify for GST.   That's how I understand it. Wait, did you say $8,500.00?  Wow!  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 289
Wat. Why? Just why? Op ignore her.
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 289

Hi Nirbhay,

Thanks for posting about this topic. We don't have any update yet but will follow up with an announcement like in the case of EU VAT charge and more recently GST charge for Australian freelancers (for the Upwork service fee, purchasing additional Connects and Plus membership fee) in case any changes are made in this respect.

Arpan J Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
9 of 289

All designing and developer work if done on the name of any registered firmis its "Service Industry" So if your earning is below 9 lacks per year no need of GST and if this is above 9 lacks you need to register for GST. If yoy already have TIN No. you can update to GST online, but its last date was 15th of June.

But you will need to file income tax returns of your income regularly on the basis of your icome

Abhay W Member Since: Sep 6, 2017
10 of 289

Hi Arpan,

Any update regarding this issue? Kindly share the news if any. Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS