Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexperienced client 4,5 feedback

g_holstein
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
1 of 69

Hi there,

my public feedback score is currently being destroyed by an inexperienced client who thinks 4,5 is a good feedback.

She messages me, that she is very happy with my work and the timing. When I ask her, what was missing, she can´t answer that.

I have given her the option to change the feedback and asked her to do this. She thinks, 4,5 is a very good feedback. 

I need to know about some deadlines here. I read, that I have 2 weeks to respond to the feedback. Can anybody tell me the deadline for a refund? 

It might even be lower than that, I was just looking at the stars. How can I know the exect value?

She also thinks that : "professional person. Very interested to deliver an optimum result. Was asking the right questions." is a positive wording.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 69

I don't see a 4.5 on your profile, only a 4.45 from May?

And a 4.5 does not "destroy" your profile at all, plus making a big fuss over feedback with a client tends to backfire.

g_holstein
Community Leader
3 of 69

Thanks for answering Petra,

I am so upset. It just happened so it doesn´t show yet. I should be doing other work, but right now I can´t. I try to take it cool. I don´t want to make a big fuss. Can you help me with the deadline or how do I know the exact score?

sophie-childs
Sophie L Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
4 of 69

4.5 really isn't a bad score at all. Sure, it's not a perfect 5, but it's still very good and it's accompanied by a very positive comment.

I wouldn't worry about it. I certainly wouldn't refund any money just to wipe it off your profile. That's likely to negatively impact on your Job Success Score and that's *far* more important to prospective clients than whether you have 4 or 5 star reviews.

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 69

4.5 is hardly bad feedback and it makes your profile look more legitimate and honest. If you're going to stress about a 4.5, you;re going to make yourself crazy on this platform.

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 69

Gerald H wrote:

I am so upset. It just happened so it doesn´t show yet. I should be doing other work, but right now I can´t.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

DO NOT RESPOND TO THE FEEDBACK! Do not make yourself look like a whiny child or draw attention to one feedback that isn't a clear 5. For heaven's sake, it isn't a 2 or 3 - is it?

I would just leave it be and CERTAINLY not try and have any prolonged conversations with the client.

Client gave the feedback she thought was right, the feedback she wanted to give. THE END! Leave her be!

To see what was marked click on the contract in your profile once it becomes visible and you'll see the breakdown of the stars.

g_holstein
Community Leader
7 of 69

Thanks for your advice everybody! 

I definitively have to calm down. 

She has changed it to 5.0 as far as I can see, but of course I don´t know about her private feedback now. I tried to educate her, I was upset, she problably took it as arguing. It was just $16.- late at night, because she had a dedline and seemed so desperate. So refund might still be better than taking a bad private feedback, I think. 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 69

You really lucked out this time.  Instead of changing it, which I'm assuming you asked her to do, she could have reported you for feedback manipulation which can get your account suspended. 4.5 isn't a bad feedback and you really should have left her alone about it. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
g_holstein
Community Leader
9 of 69

Katrina,

There is the option to give the client the opportunity to change his feedback. There is also the option to continue messaging with a client and tell him, why you think the feedback doesn´t reflect the feedback he was messaging you. Especially so, if the client is new on upwork.  

I took both options and I would be very surprised if this would constitute a "feedback manipulation" which was against the ToS. 

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 69

@Gerald H wrote:

Katrina,

There is the option to give the client the opportunity to change his feedback. There is also the option to continue messaging with a client and tell him, why you think the feedback doesn´t reflect the feedback he was messaging you.

Well, I completely agree with Katrina and if you don't want advice and opinions, why ask for them?

Fraqnkly it is behaviour like that which landed us with the Job Success Score because clients get harassed and feel under obligation to always leave 5 star feedback.

There are many threads in the client forum comnplaining about it. Personally I find it utterly unacceptable to demand a feedback change over a 4.5

A 1 or 2 with nasty comments, MAYBE.

A 4.5? NEVER

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS