Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexperienced client 4,5 feedback

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 69

@Katrina B wrote:

You really lucked out this time.  Instead of changing it, which I'm assuming you asked her to do, she could have reported you for feedback manipulation which can get your account suspended. 4.5 isn't a bad feedback and you really should have left her alone about it. 

She could also have changed the feedback to a much lower number out of annoyance or to warn other clients about your inappropriate and unprofessional behavior. That sort of thing has been reported by other freelancers who have bullied their clients regarding feedback - though those are usually people who have actually received bad ratings, not those who have received very good scores but demand to be rated perfect.

FYI, here's what all your drama saved you from: I recently received a 4.2 rating after having a 5.0 average. My average dropped to 4.8. My JSS dropped from 99% to 98%. It's been a couple of weeks and my star rating is now 4.83. I've suffered no ill effects from the score not being perfect and the mix lends authenticity to the ratings.

My time investment in reacting to the feedback: 1-2 seconds. 

The impression made on the client who left the feedback: He immediately rehired me for another job.

The impact on my overall credibility/access to jobs: zero, by all measurable indications

g_holstein
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
12 of 69

Thanks for your comment, Tiffany 

Obviously I am still inexperienced myself. After all reactions here I see my actions in a different light. I still don´t think though, that expressions like "bullying" are appropriate here to describe what I did. However, in the light of your answers I would surely handle a similar situation differently from now on. 

I am still missing, why nobody agrees with "Perferct work, perfect timing" does not justify a 4,5 feedback though, but on the topic of my reaction to it, I have learned a lot. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 69

Perfection is highly overrated.

Perhaps bullying is too strong a word  -  that said, it is completely unprofessional to badger a client over feedback.

It's happened to all of us - I got my first 3.4 awhile back. I'm still top rated, I've gotten plenty of work since then, my JSS is 96%. It's no big deal. You made a mountain out of a molehill.

Move on and think twice before you do this again ... it's a bad practice.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 69

@Gerald H wrote:

Thanks for your advice everybody! 

I definitively have to calm down. 

She has changed it to 5.0 as far as I can see, but of course I don´t know about her private feedback now. I tried to educate her, I was upset, she problably took it as arguing. It was just $16.- late at night, because she had a dedline and seemed so desperate. So refund might still be better than taking a bad private feedback, I think. 

Oh dear.... Well, you went completely overboard.

Private feedback can NOT be changed and it makes no difference whether you refund or not, you would just lose the 5 star feedback - the impact remains.

Frankly if I gave honest feedback and a freelancer got his panties in a knot and tried to "educate me" about what feedback I should be leaving I would be extremely irritated.

g_holstein
Community Leader
15 of 69

Petra, as a more experienced upworker I can educate new clients. This doesn´t have a negative connotation. The European habits of grading differ a bit from those here on upwork.

I don´t think, I "got my panties in a knot". She was thinking that this was a good feedback for a perfect piece of work (so she messaged me) I did not think it appropriate and asked her to change it.

To be upset and to react inappropriately are two different things. I think I was the first but didn´t do the last. So no reason for you to suspect I was unprofessional.  

petra_r
Community Guru
16 of 69

@Gerald H wrote:

1) Petra, as a more experienced upworker I can educate new clients.

2) The European habits of grading differ a bit from those here on upwork.

3) She was thinking that this was a good feedback

4) I did not think it appropriate and asked her to change it.

5) So no reason for you to suspect I was unprofessional.  

1) You are not an experienced Upworker. Your reaction to this whole thing confirms that. The fact that you were considering to leave a response to the feedback proves it.

2) AQ 4.5 is FINE. On Upwork, in Europe, and on Planet Zog.

3) Because it WAS.

4) See 1)

5) See your original post.

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
17 of 69

It's just lucky for you that private feedback cannot be changed.

You twisting her arm to give you better feedback would almost guaruntee a reduced private feedback score, if she had the opportunity.

I hope you were not counting on repeat business?

g_holstein
Community Leader
18 of 69

@Craig A wrote:

---

I hope you were not counting on repeat business?

Of course not, Craig. 
I have finally learned my lesson not to work with unexperienced clients anymore. And I haven´t been "twisting her arm" How would I do that. "Threatening" to respond to a feedback is not twisting arms, it´s my legitimate right to do so and I would have been factual and objective. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 69

@Gerald H wrote:

Of course not, Craig. 
I have finally learned my lesson not to work with unexperienced clients anymore. And I haven´t been "twisting her arm" How would I do that. "Threatening" to respond to a feedback is not twisting arms, it´s my legitimate right to do so and I would have been factual and objective. 

Of course it is your "right". But, in case it comes up again, you may want to consider that responding to 4.5 feedback as if it were negative is likely to scare off a significant portion of professional, good-paying clients who don't want to deal with a high-maintenance freelancer.

petra_r
Community Guru
20 of 69

@Gerald H wrote:

"Threatening" to respond to a feedback is not twisting arms, it´s my legitimate right to do so.

You have got to be kidding....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS