Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexperienced client 4,5 feedback

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
BEST ANSWER
21 of 69

Gerald, you have to go with your gut, but you'll see advice from very experienced freelancers on other boards saying that if you do the work you should not refund. This is a two-fold response - 1) from a philosophical standpoint, if you do the work you should get paid because free work is not good for anyone (certainly not good for you and it sets a terrible precedent for any future freelancer who works with that client), and 2) there has been a correlation witnessed between refunding and a drop in JSS - can't claim absolute causation because the JSS calculations are opaque, but there is no telling if a refund or bad private feedback would have a worse outcome for your score. 

View solution in original post

g_holstein
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
22 of 69

Thanks Melissa,

I take your advice and everybody´s. All is good now. Thanks for your help!

So no refund it will be!

Peace! 

bud-scannavino
Ace Contributor
Bud S Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
23 of 69

It's just another drop in the ocean, pardon the cliche.'

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 69

I swear I have higher T levels than most of the people here. Take the stars like a man. I mean they are stars who cares. boohoo I got 4 stars instead of 5. Really who cares. Oh no I don't have 100% JSS. Who cares. Oh boohoo they knocked me on availability. Who cares I'd rather play Warcraft. 

d8b9e56b
Tony B Member Since: Sep 4, 2016
25 of 69

Potential clients like me read these forums too. It gives a bit more insight into freelancers.

Just thought I'd point that out.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
26 of 69

I think most of us understand that.  And I think it's a good thing you're reading.  Sometimes, it can be very beneficial to see where a freelancer is coming from, and to understand those experiences.

@Tony B wrote:

Potential clients like me read these forums too. It gives a bit more insight into freelancers.

Just thought I'd point that out.

manosglykos
Ace Contributor
Emmanouil G Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
27 of 69

I'd rather receive 4,5 stars than no job at all. I mean, I can understand your frustration and all but I sincerely feel that you overreacted over a favorable rating. The most important part of the whole story for me, is that there is a high probability that you won't receive any work from that client again. And before you say that you wouldn't take any work from her again anyway, imagine if that happens with another client of yours, and then another one. Will you lose every chance of cross-selling and upselling? In your place, I'd thank her for that rating and used it as motive to try to make it a 5 on my next assignment. Lastly, what does inexperienced or uneducated client mean? There are other workplaces besides Upwork out there.

daniel-bradley
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
28 of 69

Gerald,

I get what you're saying about inexperienced clients sometimes being more trouble than they're worth.

I agree that Upwork could and should do more to inform clients that what might universally be considered a good rating could ultimately harm a freelancer's JSS.

However, harassing your client (dress it up however you want, that's what you did) over their subjective feedback is unacceptable and unprofessional.

It continues to enforce the bad name that many of us here are already trying to prove wrong.

And, frankly, it demonstrates that you're probably not a freelancer that should be given a second thought.

If I were you, I'd seriously reconsider your attitude and application before getting back to work. You're creating an unnecessary divide between yourself, Upwork clients, and the rest of us by proxy.

Please stop.

ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
29 of 69

The one phrase in this whole thread which caused me to raise an eyebrow was 'I tried to educate her'. Just...wow.

daxand1
Darko S Member Since: Nov 13, 2016
30 of 69

I have the same problem with some unrensponsive and Inexperienced clients. We start some project everything goes well,client is satisfied and in one point he don't response just like that. Also this inexperience clients gave me 4.3 , 4.45 , stars and now my job success rating was under 90%. This is not cool for freelencers because this things may affect to our next potencial clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS