Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexperienced client 4,5 feedback

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
61 of 69

There is an inbalance on Upwork, that needs to be addressed, when people complain on here, there is a an attack immediately to the Freelancer,  I state again, why is the longest thread with the most comments and Kudos a thread about the unfair elements of the JSS.

Pete

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
62 of 69

@Peter L wrote:

There is an inbalance on Upwork, that needs to be addressed, when people complain on here, there is a an attack immediately to the Freelancer,  I state again, why is the longest thread with the most comments and Kudos a thread about the unfair elements of the JSS.

Pete

Some freelancers perceive an imbalance, yes. Many others do not. To disagree with you does not make one a sycophant or mean that one is on Upwork's payroll or anything other than that that person has had a different experience of Upwork than you have.

I work part-time through Upwork (I have several long-term offline clients) and make about $2,000/month here. the platform saves me time on invoicing and collections, reduces paperwork, and allows me to spend on average less than an hour a month looking for new clients. I've never had a Plus membership and the connects Upwork gives me for free are at least double what I use in a month.

There are many, many freelancers here with similar experiences. Why wouldn't we say "works fine for me" when it's suggested that the system is unfair to freelancers or that it's impossible to get work here or whatever?

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
63 of 69

I am not complaining about the work, each person takes the contracts as they see fit, i enjoy working here, i just cannot figure out why , with my clients saying one thing, having no issues with any fo the work, never asking me to redo the work, that I am 70%

The only problem i see is where i got a double bonus paid and i refunded that to the client , i neever thought that would affect, me it is an hourly contract, the bonus was paid for to me in error.

I also regularly check the hourly contracts logged are for the clients i am doing the work for, i have 2 hourly contracts, both as it happens i logged hours when i done work for the other, so i deleted them.

Have i been penalised for a clients mistake ?????  a client that as it happens i am still working with

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
64 of 69

Apparently no, it doesn't affect my JSS, according to the email from help cente.

so no refunds to clients ( apart from the client mistake back to him) 

refunded hours where i billed the wrong client for his work, i cant see that having an affect.

So it is back to the inexplicable black magic JSS score.

Pete

Still in Bangkok, still moving my work elsewhere, still going to watch and comment until Upwork makes the JSS system transparent enough to understand.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
65 of 69

The JSS system is designed specifically to be *not* 100% transparent to prevent people from gaming it. When the system was based only on stars, freelancers would harrass and abuse clients for 5 star feedback. The JSS system was introduced with some levels of obfuscation to allow both clients and freelancers the opportunity to share private feedback that they otherwise might not share. No one from Upwork is going to tell you specifically why your JSS is so low. If you only have a few jobs, your JSS is very brittle, because one bad feedback is going to affect you a lot more than someone with hundreds of jobs.

You seem to just not get this concept of private feedback. Just because your public feedback is good, that doesn't mean your private feedback was also. You have no way of knowing what your client's private feedback to you was (and you definitely shouldn't ask - if its negative they're not going to tell you the truth anyway...it's "private" for a reason.)

Plenty of people have recovered from worse JSS than you. Your time would be better spent 1) doing some serious introspection on exactly where a client may have been less than 100% happy with you, and 2) concentrating on delivering a great service to your current and future clients. The JSS system is here to stay. Either you make it work for you, as plenty of people do, or you spend all your time complaining about it, or you go somewhere else. Only one of those options is going to help you on Upwork.

(PS - the JSS thread is so long because it's filled with freelancers like you who are wasting their time wah wahing over something that isn't going to change, instead of taking a good hard look at themselves to figure out why their JSS might have dropped. As Jennifer M (and I think some others) have said, most of the time experienced freelancers know exactly what caused the drop because they learn to read when a client relationship isn't working.)

(PPS - I'm a client, not a freelancer, so I have no vested interest in the JSS system nor am I interested in a job replying to forum posts.)

lairdpeter424
Community Leader
66 of 69

The truth is and it has been highlighted on another thread, i cant find it at the moment , and that is there is a flaw with the JSS,  The JSS leans heavier to the fixed price contracts, so in my case earning $200 on some fixed price contracts weighs heavier than the 2 hourly contracts earning me over $600 within the same period. If I was not reliable or offering poor standards the hourly contracts would be terminated by the client, they aren't 

So the JSS is flawed, 

here is the link to that thread

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Clients-and-Freelancer-are-not-treated-equally/m-p/27085...

The team are working to resolve the inbalance.

So a $30 feedback from a client who was unresponsive, who attempted to ignore messages and sent more work without reviewing the first batch has more say on the JSS than a client who has worked with you on the same type of project for over 110 hrs. Or a client working with you for 30 hrs on an hourly contract.

Balanced yeah right

Black magic  = screwed up algorythm

As indicated, not by me, but by Upwork.

ps

No client has ever asked me to refund or resubmit work, no contract has ever been closed without me earning money. No client has ever said a bad word in either messages or feedback. 5,5,5,5,4.45 and a JSS of 70%

Go figure

Pete

Still in Bangkok, still annoyed that the system is flawed

nativecreativet
Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
67 of 69

Peter, how many clients are there who would recommend you? (You can see the percentage in your stats).

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
68 of 69
You're reading into that thread wrong. They are talking about the display of jobs on the freelancer profile.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
69 of 69

@Jennifer M wrote:
You're reading into that thread wrong. They are talking about the display of jobs on the freelancer profile.

What she said.

To elaborate, clients posting jobs have the opportunity to set a requirement or preference based on the number of hours the freelancer has on Upwork, such as "at least 100 hours".

Fixed price jobs count for zero hours. So, someone who takes on almost exclusively fixed price jobs on Upwork may have completed 75 projects but be showing three hours experience or even zero hours.

That has nothing to do with JSS--the problem is that when someone like me, who has earned ~$20,000 on Upwork but only done one small hourly job bids on a posting that asks for at least ten hours on Upwork, my proposal is flagged as not meeting that requirement.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS