Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Influx of Scam invites

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
1 of 10

I have a full time client, so I have my avail set to 10 hours or less, so I don't get a lot of invites, but the last week or so I have seen an increase of scam job invites. You know, the ones that are waiting for you to log into Yahoo or Google Hangouts  where they can "interview" you right away.

A warning to newer folks, these job postings and invites can often look legit because they use real company names and often copy the job description from a legit company. But as I mentioned above, when they invite you, they will usually instruct you on creating a Yahoo account and "meeting Mrs. So-and-so on Yahoo or Google Hangouts to discuss the position".

Anyway, I am wondering why I am seeing even more of these than before. I used to get about one or so a month. Now I am getting one , two or three a week. Two in the last 24 hours. I have tried flagging them, but it is usually hard to tell by looking at the job post what is wrong because, like I mentioned it's a real job post stolen from elsewhere. (Although the most recent one I received, it was obvious from the job posting what they were up to). It's in the invite that it becomes apparent that it's the same old crew with a different name.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 10

Angela,

Based on my own experience and what other users here have reported, we show up in Freelancer search results via a "revolving door" that allows everyone to be seen in results from time to time.

In addition, I think this scenario is the most likely for the sort of job/clients you mention here in this thread:

1. Scammy client opens an Upwork Client account and creates a fake job post.

2. They then conduct a Freelancer search, and are presented with a cross-section of freelancers.

3. They send private invites to those freelancers, and probably also from the "Recommended" list.

4. These invites go out to a large "group" of freelancers, all at once.

5. Savvy freelancers flag these jobs, and the client gets deleted.

6. Two weeks later, the same client starts ANOTHER new client account, and repeats this process, only this time they are presented with a new cross-section of freelancers, and the process repeats all over again.

Result: We get a swath of these invites based on how quickly a scammy client can complete these steps.

I would kill to get an IP statistical report on these sort of clients. Based on what I have read online, certain European countries are famous for this sort of "hack". No offense to any of you reading this who are in Europe.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 10

Is everybody else getting a bunch of scam invites? Or just certain types of contractors, or contractors in certain types of job categories?

I'm not getting any scam invites at all, but I'm regularly getting legitimate invites. I think I received one scam invite in the last 6 months.

Who are they targetting? Should I feel left out?

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 10

It may be because you are highly specialized Preston. I usually do customer service and administrative support, which is probably a good target category for scammers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 10

Preston H wrote:

Is everybody else getting a bunch of scam invites? Or just certain types of contractors, or contractors in certain types of job categories?

I'm not getting any scam invites at all, but I'm regularly getting legitimate invites. I think I received one scam invite in the last 6 months.

Who are they targetting? Should I feel left out?

Preston, for some, it's totally about category. From personal experiance, and also what I have seen reported, the main Writing cat, and also the General Admin cat get the most of these.  When I received the 2 scam invites like with the OP mentioned, I was doing general VA work. And I wasn't new to Upwork either.

I've noticed that folks in the Writing cat get some weird and scammy jobs related to copywrited materials.

It's a serious time sink dealing with these if you get them a lot. Often, new freelancers are targeted. But not always. For sure though, the bulk of the "I've been scammed" reports you see in the forums are being made by newbies. 

You would think that would be a big red flag to Upwork, but.......

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 10

Hi Angela,

Please flag the suspicious invites you received so we can review and take appropriate action.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 10

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Angela,

Please flag the suspicious invites you received so we can review and take appropriate action.

Why flag them? Upwork never does anything about anything we flag. Jobs are often there weeks and months later. Flagging jobs does not do anything. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 10

Thanks Vladimir, I always do flag them, but nothing ever comes from it. In part probably due to the fact that a lot of times they look like "legit" jobs until you see the nearly identical invitation email. I still see jobs I flagged months ago posted by various company names that never hired anyone on the platform, but the job posts are still there. 

I don't know if it's one group that posts these jobs or it's a shared tactic, but I've had similar offers going back years, and I know people who have actually gone to the Yahoo interview and usually the "company" tries to either 1. get their bankinig info, and/or 2. tell them they have to buy some specialized software in order to do the job.

I just try to warn people to watch out for this sort of thing.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
9 of 10

I haven't been getting any legit invites at all for quite some time now, the only ones I do get about once a month are scams, inviting me to visit their link :/

I think Upwork doesn't do anything about flagged jobs either; they remain untouched.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
10 of 10

@ Preston

Must be for certain types only so far. I'm not getting any invites. Which is perfectly fine with me. One less thing to deal with and considering the posts here and other topics.

@ anyone else still reading this

Now I'm not sure if I should be feeling left out or lucky. All things considered, I'm going with lucky!!

Last time I got an invite it was for data entry. Of course that was quickly declined. But other than that, nothing.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS