🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Influx of invitations
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

Influx of invitations

Okay, maybe I'm the only one experiencing this, or maybe it's just new to me and making me feel paranoid/suspicious, but recently (the last week or so) I've noticed an increase in direct invitations to apply to jobs (variable quality of job and client). Before I'd get maybe one invite a week. Lately I'm getting multiple invites a day (not complaining, just not understanding why this would be when I'm not super active).

I don't use UpWork enough on a daily basis to know if this is just cyclical/seasonal. If you accept one invitation, does UpWork somehow read that as you are available for more invitations? Does accepting invitations rank you higher in search results? Does declining lower you in search results? Does accepting/declining have any bearing on other clients finding you? 

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As posted in an other thread addressing this:

"Invites come in waves  because U. changes the rotation of who is in the top X number of pages on the search feature.

Unless buyers are really willing to either do some homework = invite only or

Buyers are highly specific in what they need and U matches that to you = invite ...

you are simply subject to rotation"

And then there are the inane invites ... which seem to have eased off as of late.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

In my experience, invitations ebb and flow with no discernible pattern. Similarly, the quality and relevance varies wildly. I've pondered the same questions you posed. I always respond to invitations (mostly to decline because they're so poorly targeted).

Phyllis G wrote:

In my experience, invitations ebb and flow with no discernible pattern. Similarly, the quality and relevance varies wildly. I've pondered the same questions you posed. I always respond to invitations (mostly to decline because they're so poorly targeted).

I always respond to at least decline and thank them for inviting me, just in case there may be a future project I may be interested in. Thank you for sharing your experience with it. I've noticed they come and go but it just seems like quite a few a day right now, and I haven't experienced that yet. In my field we're about 6 weeks out from some major NIH deadlines, so I know that's one reason, possibly. But these aren't all NIH-related work; in fact, only one was NIH-related, so it's probably just a random uptick. Or maybe those commercials for UpWork are helping? Who knows. 

Thanks for sharing and easing my mind a bit!

As posted in an other thread addressing this:

"Invites come in waves  because U. changes the rotation of who is in the top X number of pages on the search feature.

Unless buyers are really willing to either do some homework = invite only or

Buyers are highly specific in what they need and U matches that to you = invite ...

you are simply subject to rotation"

And then there are the inane invites ... which seem to have eased off as of late.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths