🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Info on Worker's Compensation coverage for a ...
Page options
mlehua
Community Member

Info on Worker's Compensation coverage for a contract

Hi, can anyone give me recommendations for insurance companies that cover freelancers? I read one of my new jobs/contract says that I have to have worker's compensation, even though I work from home, and even though I am an individual with no employees. The contract says that at anytime I could be asked by the company that hired me, for proof of coverage (COI) certificate of insurance. I just need the minimum as I haven't made any money yet and I don't know how long this will go if it's long term but I highly doubt that I'll make more than a couple thousand in a year. So I'm looking for very low rates.

I've been trying to get estimates from googling multiple insurance companies but they all want to call, repeat the info I typed in, connect me to three different people asking the same info, and then I get no estimate.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Monica:
Most Upwork freelancers don't have any kind of "freelancers insurance."

I have completed over 250 jobs and have never had any client talk about this stuff.

You should NOT think that this is the norm. One option you have is to simply not work for anybody who asks you about "worker's compensation" or "COI".

Hi Preston,

I know that worker's compensation is not required in any state unless I have employees and again, a certain number of employees, including sub-contractors. However, in our litigious society, I've read that some larger corporations are requiring worker's comp coverage (not freelancers insurance), so if a person gets hurt, the company they are working with, can't try to sue.

It's a legit corporation and not uncommon, I know I can choose not to work with them. Just wondering if anyone in this community has info. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members