cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanity at Upwork

Ace Contributor
Dr. Jay P Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
1 of 15

So, I just got notice of a bid request to convert a pdf to word and proofread it flawlessly. So, I decided to investigate it - we have automated conversion - that could work, takes about 45 seconds.

Then it's literally 8,000 words of legal jargon to be proofread and make flawless.

Just so you know that's about 6 hours of work.  The bid range was $3.00 to $30.00

and delivery was wanted within 4 hours.

Has everyone gone crazy - this job needs a minimum billing rate - but some body will do it for $3.00

and pay the fees.  How insane Upwork is!

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
2 of 15

LOL, this is pretty standard for Upwork.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 15

How is that Upwork's insanity? Wouldn't it be the dumb freelancer that's bidding $3?

Community Leader
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
4 of 15

It might sound "dumb," but many freelancers from certain parts of the world are actually struggling to survive. Even a few dollars helps them. That's another reason why the new fee policies are so cruel, IMO.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 15

@Lisa B wrote:

It might sound "dumb," but many freelancers from certain parts of the world are actually struggling to survive. Even a few dollars help them. That's another reason why the new fee policies are so cruel, IMO.

The fee policy is not cruel, it's business 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
6 of 15

@Lisa B wrote:

It might sound "dumb," but many freelancers from certain parts of the world are actually struggling to survive. Even a few dollars helps them. That's another reason why the new fee policies are so cruel, IMO.

The crazy part is not that price is low crazy, actual insanity is delusion that 6 hours work is needed in 4. 

Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
7 of 15

Well, this thread came as requested. 

Let's talk insanity. 

As I see, the cheaper the job - the crazier client. 

It is a plethora of delusions and bad taste. 

i wish I can write you recent example I've had, but I guess that is going to edited to death to protect client.

And yes, clients who call grown man a boy to top it up like cherry. 

I spent hours explaining cultural differences between region in country and I even broght it his home explaing that you can't place Barcelonian church to Madrid's postcard (I changed a country, but you get the idea). 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 15

Ignorant client to  assume that he/she is going to get "flawless" legal jargon at this price.

Let's hope the new pricing will eliminate these uneducated people forever and reflect Upwork's corporate team of upper primates . . . and that similar jobs will, from June, be fetching (for the qualified, educated freelancer) at least $500. The question as to whether or not the legal jargon will be "flawless" remains moot. 

Benny B Member Since: May 9, 2015
9 of 15

I really get angry and feel insulted when I see this kind of slavery and extreme profiteering (because that's what it is). As a legal translator I can tell you that anyone who's stupid enough to hire these kind of low quality freelancers deserves the result they usually get (let's face it, a good quality translator with legal knowledge wouldn't even look at you for less than 200 USD on an 8000 words legal proofreading job). What the customer is, surely, going to get is a job done by someone who has no idea whatsoever of legal language.  Unless these kind of people are forced to practice regular rates, Upwork will end up losing many customers because of the low quality of these people's work (which, in the end, will mean that we are the ones loosing customers too). 

The system MUST change, otherwise Upwork IS going to lose customers. For translation and proofreading, for example, there MUST be a minimum rate calculated by source word at 0.04 USD/source word for translation and 0.02 USD/proofread word (or minimum standard hourly wage in the US). That way, when companies are forced to pay almost normal standard rates, they will start looking for higher quality freelancers.

Benny

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
10 of 15

@Benny B wrote:

I really get angry and feel insulted when I see this kind of slavery and extreme profiteering (because that's what it is). As a legal translator I can tell you that anyone who's stupid enough to hire these kind of low quality freelancers deserves the result they usually get (let's face it, a good quality translator with legal knowledge wouldn't even look at you for less than 200 USD on an 8000 words legal proofreading job). What the customer is, surely, going to get is a job done by someone who has no idea whatsoever of legal language.  Unless these kind of people are forced to practice regular rates, Upwork will end up losing many customers because of the low quality of these people's work (which, in the end, will mean that we are the ones loosing customers too). 

The system MUST change, otherwise Upwork IS going to lose customers. For translation and proofreading, for example, there MUST be a minimum rate calculated by source word at 0.04 USD/source word for translation and 0.02 USD/proofread word (or minimum standard hourly wage in the US). That way, when companies are forced to pay almost normal standard rates, they will start looking for higher quality freelancers.

Benny

That's why the new fees will somehow filter this kind of rubbish, I really wish to see all those $3-5 dollar projects gone in June. If these kinds of clients are lost, it's not really a big loss, is it?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS