Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanity at Upwork

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
11 of 15

@Fernanda M wrote:

That's why the new fees will somehow filter this kind of rubbish, I really wish to see all those $3-5 dollar projects gone in June. If these kinds of clients are lost, it's not really a big loss, is it?

My concern is that the low-ball clients will stick around because the new 2.75% payment fee on a $30 job is quite literally small change. It won't be the deciding factor for a client on whether or not to hire through Upwork when a $30 job only costs $30.83 with the new fee added. The person who will pay more dearly is the freelancer whose geographical location makes the socioeconomic benefits of taking the low paying job look more attractive than whatever local work they can land. Of course, working on this platform is voluntary, no one is holding our feet to the flames here, but the new fee structure does more than hint at "tax the poor". I don't want to compete with people who bid $3/hr (and I don't because of the nature of my work), but I understand the economic reasons that go into that sort of bid and I believe there can be enough space for everyone if the system sets the bar somewhere in the middle. 

Dana S Member Since: Mar 4, 2015
12 of 15

I think the absolute worst part is that in many cases, you have to bid on the job - i.e., spend your connects - in order to get the details about the job to determine whether or not to bid on it.

Upwork has stringent requirements on freelancers, but nothing on the clients. No problem with stringent freelance requirements if the clients have similar requirements.

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
13 of 15

I hope Upwork soon imposes a standard allowed lowest rate for both hourly and even fixed rate jobs. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 15

re: "I hope Upwork soon imposes a standard allowed lowest rate for both hourly and even fixed rate jobs."

A lowest allowable houly rate is already in place: $3.00 per hour.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 15

re: "Upwork has stringent requirements on freelancers, but nothing on the clients. No problem with stringent freelance requirements if the clients have similar requirements."

I don't want that.

If a client has a funded milestone or is payment-verified, I don't need anything else. What more do you need?

If you don't like the job description, don't send a proposal.

Complaints about "spending connects"?

You get them for free. If you think a job is worth learning more about, use a few connects. If you don't think the job is worth your time, ignore it.

No need to set requirement for clients. Some people have REAL MONEY to spend but they're not good job proposal writers. LET THEM come here, post jobs, and pay contractors to help them flesh out their ideas.

Nobody is requiring you to bid on certain jobs. Not every job is meant for every contractor. Some jobs look baffling to you but they're right for somebody else. Don't worry about there being too many available jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS