🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Insecurity to freelancers
Page options
vaghasiya_ankur
Community Member

Insecurity to freelancers

Hello Folks,

Since the last few days, I have discovered a client who keeps posting the job with the same title and description. To some extent, they post around 4-5 jobs every day with the same requirements. I applied for 2-3 jobs they've posted and was awarded two times for the interview process. He ignored the messages and never discussed with any point that they needed something. The same happened the second time (I noticed that he also did not hire anyone). It seemed genuine in earlier days, but how can somebody keep trapping for so long.

Freelancers keep wasting their valuable connection with that kind of job posting, especially they are just beginning. However, No action or rules Upwork has made for such clients. Upwork is maintaining professionalism with freelancers without suspicion, and I believe that it should also have some extent of strictness for clients.

a calculation to consider,

Job a day they post (4) x (20) avg amount of freelancers place their bid = 100 bid

100 bids a day x 10 days = 1000 bids with 6 connections for each.

(I've observed this constant job posting for the last 10-12 days)

6000 connection x 0.15$ = 900$

It's a massive amount for the entrapment that freelancers have to tolerate. I'd request Upwork to have some rules to prevent this; Otherwise, freelancers would be busy maintaining professionalism, and clients will do whatever they feel best for them.

Note: I can provide you with essential proof to track it right.

12 REPLIES 12
b3d9a61e
Community Member

Greetings Ankur,

Kudos to you firstly for getting this message in front of everyone right here! Even I have seen many fake inquiries has been submitted on Upwork these days. I agree with your terms as have had also faced the same issue earlier.

Thanks for raising the objection.

masroordnt
Community Member

Thank you Ankur for raising this issue. This is genuinely a problem.

60e43175
Community Member

yes I also agree with you I am new on Upwork for about 4 months I lost my all connects to apply for the job but those job clients have not hired anyone and all jobs are closed day by day.

sofia2008
Community Member

Here are some ressources for new freelancer. Following the rules is a key element to stay safe.

Also, Connects are reimbursed if the job is taken down by Upwork if this is a scam. So there is no "entrapment" strategy.

Upwork Legal Center

List of red flags for scams - Upwork Community

Freelancing 101 on Upwork - Upwork Community

Report Suspicious User Activity – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Thank you, Sophie, for drag your interest in this matter.

I admire that the connection we spent on expired jobs without being hired can be rollover; it's a good decision that Upwork has taken. We are thankful for that, But why Upwork does not think freelancer's perspective? We are continuously keeping an eye on the job feed overnight, and they placed a bid that ended up being expired. It's not fair.

I believe that clients can change their minds, or the requirements they posted are no longer needed; that's acceptable. But I've seen clients posting more than 30 jobs without a single hire. Is this behaviour sounds professional?

My only point is to charge them for any suspicious activity or have some rules defined for the clients, even the 30% of regulations that freelancers must follow.

This is where the Manage Connects section of the help article helps. New freelancers are often eager to get that first job and send proposals as if Upwork would go offline tomorrow. Freelancing takes patience and hard work. My advise would be "Browse more, apply less"

Manage Connects

Connects are a valuable resource. Before using your Connects to submit a proposal, we recommend that you:

• Carefully review the job post to make sure it matches your skills and availability.
  • Make sure you have enough time to submit a quality proposal.
  • Check to see if the client has hired anyone yet — sometimes clients don’t close a job right away after hiring.
  • Review the client’s history — do they usually hire right away and have previous freelancers enjoyed working with them?
  • Consider the number of freelancers who have already submitted proposals and whether the client is interviewing others yet. While you can still submit to a project that already has many applicants or is in the interview stage, it may be more difficult to get the client’s attention.
moonraker
Community Member

Ankur V wrote:

I applied for 2-3 jobs they've posted and was awarded two times for the interview process.

Then you would have got your connects back.

Ankur V wrote:

It's a massive amount for the entrapment that freelancers have to tolerate.

It really isn't.

Just be more careful about jobs you apply for. If the client has posted many jobs without hiring - then don't apply for the job.

Assuming that nobody placed a bid and a job is staying like garbage. But what is the point of view of accumulating garbage in a professional platform like Upwork?

There shouldn't have a limitation for a client?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

So you earned 20 or 30 connects with the interviews? What are you complaining about.

You don't need to worry about the cost of connects to freelancers, some people post fake jobs, pretend to have interviews, and get connects. (Not saying you are doing that, you would have hardly posted this if you did.). 

So people are never paying for connects. They are gaming the system to get them. 

I've earned a connects for the awarded interview; that's cool. What about those who invest their time to write a proposal?

Let's consider a time calculation :

20 avg bid place for each job x 5 minutes avg linger to write proposal = 100 minutes. It's worth watching to calculate it for the 10 days they are trapping with 4 jobs daily.

I believe that clients might post fake jobs to win additional proposals. Thus, Upwork also has to endure the loss + Freelancers invest their time and bids. It means that the parties maintain professionalism over the platform and end up losing side, and clients who are trapping get the benefits.

You know they are gaming the system; why don't your approach turns out to prevent this all? My Only point is that!!

c3133ebf
Community Member

Thank you, Ankur for raising this issue. This is genuinely a problem. I am new to this platform and I getting this problem 3 times with 3 different clients as of now.

Of course, mate!

Freelancers are struggling here just because clients are paying. Upwork are more conscious and supportive to paying side, rather than maintaining both sides equally.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members