Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Insights from Elancer using Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 5

Many Elancers were asking about the experience other Elancers had so far on Upwork so I thought of sharing mine.

I have been using Elance so far to get most of my projects, however I have applied in the past two months to 17 jobs on Upwork at different times and got 7 jobs out of them. The jobs were at my same rate as on Elance.

I don't know about the category you operate under, but in mind case I believe Upwork will work out for me. Unlike many people out there, I think Upwork is doing an incredible job recently (nobody should underestimate the new Messenger App). 

OK so I still don't understand what does "security" have to do with the 6-days security period, and I also think that Upwork's support has nothing to do with "support"... However I can understand the people there are swimming with tickets and maybe many thousands of them, so I am sure things will improve greatly over the next few months when everyone is on the track.

My advice? Don't underestimate Upwork. And I am not saying this because I've been awarded several jobs so far, but because I can see it has potential clients and real business going on.

Good luck fellow Elancers. I hope this helps. And I wouldn't trade Elance for anything, but let's all have faith and work out together to make the best out of Elance & oDesk into Upwork.

Best regards, 

Wassim

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
2 of 5

I beg to differ on one point specifically; you are not making the same as you were on Elance. Even if you are charging the same rates you are paying 10% in fees now vs. 8.75%.

And yes that 1.25% makes a difference.

At my normal hourly rate Upwork is making more than "minimum wage" off me alone.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
3 of 5

Hi Tim, 

I can understand your point and feel sorry for it. However, I almost only work on fixed price jobs and had hourly job only once. In my case, I price what I price and the fees gets added on top of that (same as on Elance). I always let my clients pay the fees and nobody ever complained. So on Elance, the client is paying 8.75% while on Upwork the client is paying 10%. So I don't really care what that percentage is because on fixed price jobs client pays that.

Best regards, 

Wassim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 5

"I always let my clients pay the fees"

Same here, but on Upwork I also have to let the clients pay the VAT because the site can't manage proper invoices. This means my rates are 20.25% higher than on Elance, which is not trivial (or helpful).

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

Hi all,

I'm closing this discussion to further comment. Unfortunately, we needed to remove many replies from this thread as they violate our Community Guidelines and detract from the overall tone and type of discussion we're trying to have here. We'll continue to allow debate, and discussions that allow for constructive criticism of ideas, decisions, etc. (inluding Upwork/Elance's ideas and decisions). But at the end of the day, we are going to moderate these forums to ensure we are fostering an environment that encourages participation, collaboration and professionalism.

Posts that disparage other users, Elance/Upwork employees and/or the Elance, oDesk, or Upwork brands will be removed. 

We appreciate your participation and hope you'll continue to be considerate of these guidelines and the overall spirit with which we manage the Community.

View solution in original post

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS