Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Browser Extension

Highlighted
Hector III G Member Since: Oct 18, 2016
1 of 11

Hi,

I just had my first contact with one of my submitted proposal. I was asked to download a software for doing a data entry task. When I check the link provided, its asking me to install a 3rd party browser extension. My concern is I read the details in the install desclaimer that it will get all of my browser details (saved passwords and data) also I got an alert to my internet security suite that there is a detected risk for the file.

I want to know if this is safe and if this is the normal process. I'm new to this upwork and online job thing.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 11

Has the client even hired you?  (Offered a contract through Upwork which you have accepted).  I wouldn't touch this job myself.  Sounds very scammy, especially if you have not been hired.

This is not normal.  I would flag the job and move on to something else.

Highlighted
Denis D Member Since: Feb 13, 2009
3 of 11

I've been invited to bid on a job, and the specs for the job are in a spreadsheet that contains macros.

It's my understanding that opening the spreadsheet can be dangerous, but the employer seems to have rec'd good ratings on a number of past jobs. I've never done work for this employer, and it was a "blast" invite, i.e. 200 invitations were made.

Am I right to be suspicious?

Highlighted
4 of 11

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

No I did not receive any offer/contract.

I only got a message telling me that I have been accepted as part of the team. Then they provide me with the computation of payment. Then part of the instruction is to download something using a mirrored website.

Thats why I am having a doubt about it because I knew someone who has been with upwork for quite sometime now and I remember she told me before that if selected then I will get a contract or something like that.

What should I do? Should I report the job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 11

Never ever do ANYTHING at all until you are officially hired with an Upwork contract that you see in your "my jobs" tab.

do NOT install anything like that and yes, DO report it to Upwork

Highlighted
6 of 11

Thank you. Appreciate your help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

It is almost CERTAINLY a phishing fraud.

Have you been OFFICIALLY hired? Do you have an actual contract on your "my jobs" page?

Highlighted
8 of 11

No, have not been hired. Haven't even enabled macros in the spreadhseet app (OpenOffice) to see the job specs.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 11

Hi Hector and Denis,

We'll have the jobs you reported reviewed and take actions. Please, do not open suspicious excel files with macros and do not install any software on your computer unless you absolutely sure what it is.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
10 of 11

Thanks so much.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS