🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Instant message interview requested via WIRE
Page options
jessica_murtaugh
Community Member

Instant message interview requested via WIRE

Hi there,

I have a potential client via Upwork chat who asked on behalf of their client partner to interview me via WIRE, but it's my understanding this is prohibitted by Upwork.

Obviously, any contract or payment would ALSO need to be done on the app.

I am brand new to Upwork, so I don't want to turn away my first opportunity, so asking the community if anyone has any experience with requests to interview off platform, and to confirm that I'm right to request that they interview on platform (I replied asking that they please do so). I want to accomodate new clients but also want to avoid scams as well as adhere to the Upwork rules.

Thank you!!

Jessica

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Send your potential client a message including something along the lines of...

"....during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use either Upwork’s VOIP service or Upwork’s Zoom-based app to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/217698348-Video-and-Voice-Calls

I look forward to our call."

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tlsanders
Community Member

I just tell the client that our contract with Upwork requires us to communicate only through the platform until there's a contract in place and then suggest the closest in-Upwork option based on what they proposed. 

If they get into a huff and won't proceed because of it, there's a fairly good chance they were looking to scam you, anyway, so no real loss.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Send your potential client a message including something along the lines of...

"....during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use either Upwork’s VOIP service or Upwork’s Zoom-based app to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/217698348-Video-and-Voice-Calls

I look forward to our call."

Good luck!

Thanks, Will! I couldn't make head nor tail of Tiffany's comment but you've cleared everything up nicely.

One of my potential clients got angry at me because wanting to communicate only through Upwork until a contract is established... anyway he by that way showed off as being a difficult person..

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths