🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Insulting Clients
Page options
brinwillmar
Community Member

Insulting Clients

How can I report clients who invited you for an interview over chat then insulted you for the rate that you offered?  I got invited to apply for a post then got a message from the client that that I am way to over priced for the services being asked for.  He was comparing me to local salary grades who he said he had experience of hiring before and mentioned that I am way too overpricing. Thing with me is that the rate that I quoted him was my actual profile rate and and was very close to the local rate I had when I was practicing that kind of profession.  Not to brag but I had 16 years of doing what he was asking to do and definitely my level and position was way beyond than any other local practitioners because of my experience.  Not to mention that he was actually asking two types of job to be done in one single contract in which I can actually fulfill both.

I could have accepted that he had just flashed my application down the drain or even talked to me to somehow recalibrate my rate. But this employer decided to chat me and just insult my rates telling me I am way overpriced and wishing me good luck for other employers to hire me  who do not know any better.  

As Petra mentioned before in her post, I will be moving on. But if there is an opportunity to report inappropriate behavour, aside from the part that you could do so when withdrawing the application, I would defintely do that.

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Willmar B wrote:

But this employer decided to chat me and just insult my rates telling me I am way overpriced and wishing me good luck for other employers to hire me  who do not know any better.

That's not an insult, and not really something you can report a client for.

Laugh it off and move on. Let that client be someone else's problem and be grateful you DIDN'T win the job.

That said, I can see why the client was taken aback. In the last few weeks you have accepted contracts at wildly different rates and many clients who look at your history will suspect you to be a bit of a chancer who takes advantage.

The way to grow your business is to increase your rates gradually. Not accept $ 10 an hour jobs when you want $ 25

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members