🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Insurance and Business Licenses for Freelance...
Page options
abranen
Community Member

Insurance and Business Licenses for Freelancers?

Hello,

I'm reviewing a contract for a long-term freelance assignment. It mentions general liability insurance, and business permits & licenses. I've never applied for any of these.

Does anyone know if any/all of these are legally required of an independent contractor? Or even if not legally required, is it a good idea to have them?

Thank you,

Allison 

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It depends on what you do, where you live and how much money you earn. A bit of Googling should answer your questions. But if you have a chance to work for a big company on a long term assignment and they want you to have liability insurance, then it would make sense to get it. (In the UK, I was able to get membership in a freelancer organisation, which included liability insurance for a very reasonable price.)

lina-sawaqedy
Community Member

Hi Alison, 

I'm facing the same issue. Were you able to figure it out?

Would appreciate the feedback, if any.

Thanks

Lina

Hi Lina,

It seems to vary by state, and even city. I've determined I don’t need a business license, but it seems advisable (although not required) for me to get business liability coverage for Errors & Omissions. I'm getting estimates for that now.

It's probably best that you research the requirements for the specific services you offer, in your city and state.

Hope that helps!

Allison 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members