Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Job?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
21 of 39

Thanks Kim,

I've shared the job post with our team for further review.

Untitled
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 39

@Kim F wrote:

I saw one post for 'academic writers', i.e. for a group writing term papers, flagged as an 'interesting job'.

After glancing through a few others marked as 'interesting', I honestly thought an Upwork staff member had just discovered sarcasm.

Kim wins the Internet. 

42bc8f02
Upwork Staff
Tam L Upwork Staff Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
23 of 39

Hi all - 

Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry we're not currently filtering out clients like that from the 'interesting job' section. I'll review this with the team to see what other restrictions we can put in place to avoid this in the future. 

Right now, I'm thinking (out loud here) we need to add:

- The client has hired before

- The client has spent X amount 

- The client has a hiring rate of Y

As we'e been digging into this, it's interesting to see that Upwork is not really a two sided ecosystem - clients and freelancers - but rather a three sided one - clients, freelancers, openings. 

The changes won't be immediate, but they will happen, and I'll update everyone regarding the timing once I get a better handle on the situation. In the mean time, if you have any other suggestions/criticisms please let me know. 

As always, thank you. 

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
24 of 39

Tam, honestly, this "feature" is not worth your time and effort. There is no algorithm you can come up with that will filter the "interesting" jobs from every other job with any kind of accuracy.

Your time would be so much better spent working on filtering out the scams, the mis-filed jobs, the clients who are trying to post to a specific freelancer but post publicly instead, the freelancers who post jobs to advertise their own skills, the jobs with one line descriptions, the jobs that require "trial" work for free or stupid keywords in the application - won't that keep you busy for awhile?

It sure would improve the experience for freelancers who spend HOURS AND HOURS sorting through the crap trying to find REAL contracts, which are few and far between these days.

42bc8f02
Upwork Staff
25 of 39

"Your time would be so much better spent working on filtering out the scams, the mis-filed jobs, the clients who are trying to post to a specific freelancer but post publicly instead, the freelancers who post jobs to advertise their own skills, the jobs with one line descriptions, the jobs that require "trial" work for free or stupid keywords in the application - won't that keep you busy for awhile?"

This will definitely keep me busy, and it's something I'm very interested in solving. I've been researching this issue for the past month or so, and am starting to put a plan in place. Like you, and every one else, I don't want these jobs showing up.

We have one small feature, that needs some dev estimating, which might be able to alleviate some of the issue here - hiring rate filter. Let me double check where we are on this and provide an update at the beginning of next week. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
26 of 39

Tam, I agree that your team should not invest your limited resources in algorithms that are sending jobs to freelancers, or are flagging interesting jobs. People can search interesting jobs by themselves and there is already a RSS feed.

You need to invest your precious time to prevent people from wasting Upwork's resources and contractors' and clients' time by posting fake or scammy jobs and fake or duplicate or plagiarized freelancers profiles.

There is a lot to do with this respect.

For instance, a client who posts a ton of jobs withing months and never hires anybody should be paused and investigated. This client is stealing from you by hiring off-platform, and this behavior is very easy to detect algorithmically.

A provider whose profile contains sentences from other profiles should not be approved and should be investigated with a view to being permanently banned. This too may be automatized with indexing.

And nice glasses :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
27 of 39

Tam - I would also consider average hourly rate paid.  That's a big one.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
28 of 39

Tam,

[OT, but as you must know, Upwork does not accept profiles that have, for example, funky shades (sunglasses) the size of a face. I'm not quite sure what sort of example this will set for  wannabe freelancers who have not fully understood the mechanics of either freelancing or Upwork.]

The shades (sunglasses) rather rob your questions of gravitas, which need serious answers.

Just sayin', Smiley Wink

Nice to see you back again Tam! Smiley Happy

42bc8f02
Upwork Staff
29 of 39

Valeria yelled at me about this already. Will change once I can find a suitable picture =)

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
30 of 39

Wait too long and your account could get suspended.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS