Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting change in the bid section

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
1 of 4

I was just about to apply for a job and I saw some changes in the bid section. Instead of deducting the fee from my bid now they are actually adding it. I like this new change! Finally something positive Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Solange K Member Since: Mar 24, 2015
2 of 4

I noticed this today too. The 10% is being deducted from the client instead of the freelancer. This way the freelancer can actually get their full salary I think. I really like this change too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 4

This has been covered so many times in so many threads...THERE IS NO CHANGE in how much people are paid - the only change is in the way it's presented. It's simple maths -

100+10% = 110

10% of 110 is 11, so 110 minus 11 is 99.

It's the same with tax and lots of other things - you only get a round number on one end of the equation, so you can fix the equation to give the round number at which end you choose. The amount Upwork gets is the total fee.

So, A)  if total job fee is $110, Client pays $110, Upwork gets $11, Freelancer gets $99.

If freelancer wants $100, total job cost is $111.11 (rec.), client pays $111.11, Upwork gets $11.11.

So it depends which end of the equation you want to have a pretty round number on. But apart from that. nothing has changed, they're just displaying it differently.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
4 of 4

Stephen,

I understand that nothing has changed but maybe people’s perception will change Smiley Very Happy Now I don’t feel as they are deducting the money from my account, but from the client’s. It just makes me feel better.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS