beth_price

International Business Times reporting 1.3 million Elance accounts hacked, data just now surfacing

Any Elance vets around? The International Business Times and others are reporting that an Elance data breach affecting 1.3 million accounts took place in 2009, with hacked data just now surfacing. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/elance-data-breach-hacker-leaks-1-3-million-accounts-staffing-platform-1605...

17 REPLIES 17
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elizabeth,

This was reported when it happened. Elance took action to protect its customers. See 2009 TechCrunch coverage here.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria. Weird that it's being reported today and hitting my news alerts.

@Elizabeth P wrote:

Thanks Valeria. Weird that it's being reported today and hitting my news alerts.

From what I understand from this article, the journalist or the news site has further information on the 2009 hacking. So it would seem that the case is not completely closed . . .

Hi Nichola,

The case is closed. We've reached out to the journalist to clarify.

Thanks Garnor, but for those who might feel compromised, could you clarify. How is Upwork so certain that there is no further risk?

With all due respect, Garnor, some real transparency is called for v. platitudes and assuaging talk. When an old news story resurfaces in a viable publication there are most definitely unanswered concerns

@Wendy C wrote:

With all due respect, Garnor, some real transparency is called for v. platitudes and assuaging talk. When an old news story resurfaces in a viable publication there are most definitely unanswered concerns

They addressed it when it happened. 

lysis10

This is old news.

A friend of mine was on Elance at the time and she said her username and password were posted on a website. So yeah, if you use the same password here that you had on Elance back then, you probably want to change it.

As I noted ... "When an old news story resurfaces in a viable publication there are most definitely unanswered concerns."

@Wendy C wrote:

As I noted ... "When an old news story resurfaces in a viable publication there are most definitely unanswered concerns."

It happened 8 years ago. LOL If you still have concerns, you need to move on for godsakes. Change your password. 

@Jennifer M wrote:

if you use the same password here that you had on Elance back then, you probably want to change it.

Reuse of passwords is a plague. It's how people have their bank accounts siphoned.

People, use a password manager. I use 1Password, but there are many others on the market. It provides you with unique, long and complicated passwords that you don't need to memorize.

Every time you reuse a password, a kitten is killed somewhere. Don't kill kittens. Use a password manager.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Reuse of passwords is a plague. It's how people have their bank accounts siphoned.

People, use a password manager. I use 1Password, but there are many others on the market. It provides you with unique, long and complicated passwords that you don't need to memorize.

Every time you reuse a password, a kitten is killed somewhere. Don't kill kittens. Use a password manager.

I don't like to do that because I want to be able to remember my passwords. But then again, Christy says she can't be friends with me since I allow all the cookies and the javascripts. 

There is stuff I really don't care if it gets hacked. My FB could get hacked and I wouldn't care. lol

I almost wish someone would try to steal my ID.  Boy, would they be sorry, especially since the IRS insists I owe them tens of thousands of dollars.

That's not fair! I'm willing to come to a compromise. I'm allowing JS, but the cookies might be a deal breaker. 

I admit I'm a bit of security freak but I think that's because of enertia. Back in the day, people wanted to steal my stuff, like my WoW account (which seems laughable today) and I got a little stuck in the 90's

I do continue to use Malwarebytes and I use LastPass for my password generation/protection. And NoScript. And possibly uBlock.

@Jennifer M wrote:
I don't like to do that because I want to be able to remember my passwords. But then again, Christy says she can't be friends with me since I allow all the cookies and the javascripts. 

There is stuff I really don't care if it gets hacked. My FB could get hacked and I wouldn't care. lol

Agree re a password manager but that is not what Jennifer M seems to be upset about.

She is, apparently, objecting to my comment ... "As I noted ... "When an old news story resurfaces in a viable publication there are most definitely unanswered concerns."

@Christy A wrote:

That's not fair! I'm willing to come to a compromise. I'm allowing JS, but the cookies might be a deal breaker. 

I admit I'm a bit of security freak but I think that's because of enertia. Back in the day, people wanted to steal my stuff, like my WoW account (which seems laughable today) and I got a little stuck in the 90's

I do continue to use Malwarebytes and I use LastPass for my password generation/protection. And NoScript. And possibly uBlock.

oh man I thought for sure it'd be the other way around. lol JS is so bad IMO. Back in the 90s, it was a general rule of thumb to throw everything on the server and do limited JS because of security and because support tons of machines and browsers is less desirable than dealing with just server code. Plus, IE and other browsers always had different JS syntax. I have no idea if that is still true or not. I stay away from JS as much as possible.

I don't use ad blockers because I kinda feel like a hypocrite since I made so much money on ads back in the rev share days.

@Rene K wrote:

Every time you reuse a password, a kitten is killed somewhere. Don't kill kittens.

cats do not sleep like this.jpg

(She's only sleeping)