🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » International Student On F1 Visa Currently Ou...
Page options
23dc7c16
Community Member

International Student On F1 Visa Currently Outside of the U.S.?

So I am a full-time international student on an F1 student visa currently outside the U.S. and in my home country, due to the Covid-19  pandemic. Is it legal for me to do freelance work on Upwork right now since I am physically not in the U.S.?  And I suppose it's the best for me to have payments directly sent to my bank account in my home country?

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yaoyao,

If you are going to be in your home country for an extended period, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jr-translation
Community Member

Yaoyao M wrote:

So I am a full-time international student on an F1 student visa currently outside the U.S. and in my home country, due to the Covid-19  pandemic. Is it legal for me to do freelance work on Upwork right now since I am physically not in the U.S.?

If you are allowed to work while studying, yes. As a freelancer you can travel and work from anywhere as long as you are allowed to work.
For you profile you have to enter the location you are officially registered. So if you are living in the US and are only temporarily in China, you should change the location to US. Where would you pay taxes on your income?

And I suppose it's the best for me to have payments directly sent to my bank account in my home country?
That depends on your payment method.

If you're not in the US but in your home country, surely you don't need an F1 visa (you're legally allowed to work in your own country, yes?).
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths