Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Work

Active Member
Lukas R Member Since: Oct 15, 2013
1 of 4
How does taxes work for a Canadian resident (me) working for an American client / company. I understand I would need to file Canadian taxes for my earnings; however, do I also need to file US taxes for my earnings? Does it differ whether it's an hourly job or a fixed-rate job? Thanks
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 4
You're a contractor the same as though you owned a retail store and sold product to someone living in another country. You'll file in Canada the same as you would a sole proprietorship (unless you've registered differently). No need to worry about US taxation. Don't forget to keep your receipts for any random stuff you needed to buy for work Smiley Wink I'm not an accountant, so pls take my input as non-professional ramblings from a random internet forum and check with H&R Block or something to be sure for your particular situation... there may be more to your case than I know
Ace Contributor
Francisco F Member Since: Nov 13, 2010
3 of 4
If you're also a non-US citizen, don't mind US taxes.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 4
You may have to fill out a form W8-BEN in order to withdraw money from oDesk. This form shows that you don't have to pay US taxes. There should be a link to it somewhere on the oDesk website.