🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Interview - Client Suddenly Sent contact info...
Page options
mliangco
Community Member

Interview - Client Suddenly Sent contact information

Hello,

I applied for a job and that client sent his contact information. I know that sharing contact information is now not approved. I'm just concerned that this might cause my account to be banned that's not my fault. Are you reviewing messages? 

16 REPLIES 16
lysis10
Community Member

Why not just reply that chat/voice has to stay on Upwork?

JoanneP

Hi Mary Joyce,

All reports are thoroughly reviewed by our team before any action is taken. We will reach out to you in these cases and give you a chance to explain what occurred.

~ Joanne
Upwork
vstuart
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

All reports are thoroughly reviewed by our team before any action is taken. We will reach out to you in these cases and give you a chance to explain what occurred.

So very comforting.  I don't feel like I just stepped into a very bad novel...or history book.

lysis10
Community Member

Valerie S wrote:

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

So very comforting.  I don't feel like I just stepped into a very bad novel...or history book.

We'll reach out giving you a chance to appeal your banhammer lmao

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

You (Upwork) will give HER a chance to explain what happened??? After the client sent information she didn't request and can't control?

How very generous of you.

Ela K wrote:

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

You (Upwork) will give HER a chance to explain what happened??? After the client sent information she didn't request and can't control?

How very generous of you.

I'm beginning to think that Upwork is suffering from COVID-19 bluster. What does the OP have to "explain"? She has already explained. 

Would it be possible for Upwork to think "level playing field"?  According to the new lockdown rules, I understood that neither client nor freelancer were allowed to share contact details before a contract was in place. Or are there exceptions to this socially distanced rule?  

mliangco
Community Member

I have one potential client that sent his contact information a few times already and I insisted on contacting via upwork messages. What do I do? I don't want to get banned that's out of my control. 

petra_r
Community Member

Mary Joyce L wrote:

I have one potential client that sent his contact information a few times already and insisted on contacting via upwork messages. What do I do? I don't want to get banned that's out of my control. 

You don't get banned for what the client does, but if that client doesn't get the message despite you repeatedly explaining it to him, maybe it's time to block him.

mtngigi
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

Seriously? How about Upwork (as has been suggested) take the onus off freelancers and let clients know what they can and cannot ask for (via a pop-up window) before they even post a job. Why would Upwork take action against a freelancer for something a client does? The OP doesn't need to explain anything.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

Seriously? How about Upwork (as has been suggested) take the onus off freelancers and let clients know what they can and cannot ask for (via a pop-up window) before they even post a job. Why would Upwork take action against a freelancer for something a client does? The OP doesn't need to explain anything.

Seriously. I had a client repeatedly give me his contact info and ask for a call without prompting from me. I told him in chat we had to communicate through Upwork. In the first few minutes of the call, after I thank him for using the Upwork system and quickly explain why, he proceeds to tell me they never pay through Upwork and they won't hire me unless I also take payment off Upwork. I tell him no way, I only take payment through Upwork. He proceeds to pressure me to go off platform. I continue to say no. He relents, we discuss the job. Then he proceeds to say we need a second call and tells me to call him later on his phone while he's running (didn't I just explain to him I can't do that) so he can save time. 

Reported and blocked, but my account may be in jeopardy because of his shenanigans? If a client suggests communicating off platform THEY should be suspended, not the freelancer. And THEY should explain, not the freelancer. I doubt they did anything to this client either, who, by his own account, has hire and paid 10 freelancers off of Upwork. (He probably hasn't actually paid them though...) 

Side note: yeah, I'm irritated at having my time wasted. I have a full portfolio so I only take a new client interview if I am really interested in the project.  I don't "audition" for gigs - if we have a call it's to figure out if I feel your project is feasible and if I want to work with you.  Shame on me for even responding once he sent the contact info against TOS. Ug. 

mtngigi
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

Seriously. I had a client repeatedly give me his contact info and ask for a call without prompting from me. I told him in chat we had to communicate through Upwork. In the first few minutes of the call, after I thank him for using the Upwork system and quickly explain why, he proceeds to tell me they never pay through Upwork and they won't hire me unless I also take payment off Upwork. I tell him no way, I only take payment through Upwork. He proceeds to pressure me to go off platform. I continue to say no. He relents, we discuss the job. Then he proceeds to say we need a second call and tells me to call him later on his phone while he's running (didn't I just explain to him I can't do that) so he can save time. 

Reported and blocked, but my account may be in jeopardy because of his shenanigans? If a client suggests communicating off platform THEY should be suspended, not the freelancer. And THEY should explain, not the freelancer. I doubt they did anything to this client either, who, by his own account, has hire and paid 10 freelancers off of Upwork. (He probably hasn't actually paid them though...) 

Side note: yeah, I'm irritated at having my time wasted. I have a full portfolio so I only take a new client interview if I am really interested in the project.  I don't "audition" for gigs - if we have a call it's to figure out if I feel your project is feasible and if I want to work with you.  Shame on me for even responding once he sent the contact info against TOS. Ug. 

It beggers belief, doesn't it?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mary Joyce,

It beggers belief, doesn't it?

They are so worried about circumventing, and here I am giving them a huge offender of circumvention (I'm sure he had spent a lot although of course I can't tell because he never hired on Upwork), and I highly doubt if they suspended him at all. He stated verbally he never had any intention of paying fees to Upwork. If you don't want to hire a freelancer here than don't put a job post here! I told CS to compare his job post and interview history with his hire rate. Considering he'd never done a hire, I'm fairly certain that he's not a big loss to suspend so he can't post more jobs and steal more money from Upwork. Doesn't surprise me. He couldn't even explain his own product. *eye roll*

Oh wait, the job is still open and not taken down...

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Mary Joyce,

EVERY potential new client who has contacted me about their project since the new rule went into effect has suggested we have a phone call.

And I have told each of them Upwork has a new rule about pre-contract contact, so we'd have to talk using Upwork's decent (but not great) VOIP system. None have objected.

Just document on the messaging system that you've told the client about Upwork's new rule and your pre-contract conversations took place appropriately.

Hi, 

I just started looking for new clients since the new ToS update, and guess what ? I seriously get the feeling that I'm losing more and more opportunities because, trust me, more than 80% of those who contacted me ghost me right after I bring up the ToS contact sharing article, while they still have other applicants to choose from (who aren't very strict regarding the rules, I suppose).

Each applicant should stand against the contact sharing practice once and for all, otherwise those of us who comply with the ToS will always be on the losing side of history. 

If the client gets his request declined by ALL his applicants, he'll obviously ACCEPT the Upwork Call System. But since they have "other options", we are the ones who get to lose the opportunity. 

It's really unacceptable. 

Imene M wrote:

Hi, 

I just started looking for new clients since the new ToS update, and guess what ? I seriously get the feeling that I'm losing more and more opportunities because, trust me, more than 80% of those who contacted me ghost me right after I bring up the ToS contact sharing article, while they still have other applicants to choose from (who aren't very strict regarding the rules, I suppose).

Each applicant should stand against the contact sharing practice once and for all, otherwise those of us who comply with the ToS will always be on the losing side of history. 

If the client gets his request declined by ALL his applicants, he'll obviously ACCEPT the Upwork Call System. But since they have "other options", we are the ones who get to lose the opportunity. 

It's really unacceptable. 

Of all the useless, supposedly "helpful" (burdensome) changes Upwork has piled on it's freelancers in the past few years, this is one of the worse. In what world does Upwork expect clients to be okay with this? I made the suggestion that Upwork implement a "pop-up" message when someone is getting ready to post a job, so that clients already know what to expect, and the onus is not on the freelancer (because it shouldn't be) to inform potential clients of this new rule. But suggestions always fall on deaf ears ... even the good ones.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members