cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interview vs Offer? Need Advice

Highlighted
Aleia W Member Since: Nov 25, 2015
1 of 16

I just had a client who needs a rush job done send me the entire project in a message through the "interview" feature. I am a bit new here, but I shouldn't start working on the project until I have an actual offer right? It's not a sample edit, it's the entire essay he wants done. The job details says he is "interviewing" 3 other people as well. I sent him a message asking for an offer, but I haven't recieved a reply back, which is strange if he is looking for someone to get it done in a couple hours. 

If I do the work and send it back while the job is still technically in the interview stage, will I be guaranteed payment? 

Thanks! I am still trying to figure all this out. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
2 of 16

No, you shouldn't do it until he makes you an offer and you should probably report him. If you do it in the interview phase, you will be working for free....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 16

@Jessica S wrote:

No, you shouldn't do it until he makes you an offer and you should probably report him. If you do it in the interview phase, you will be working for free....

Very bad advice.

First he is an established client here so I doubt he is out to cheat you.

He has an Upwork history for you to review.

I often ask for the files before I give a final price so I can estimate the work load and if fixed price can then figure what an hourly rate would be.

This is NORMAL. He probably sent you the files so you could simply review them. 

It's also normal to communicate off the platform.

If it was fixed price you simply ask him to fund escrow fully if you plan to take the job and he offers it to you.

If it was hourly, then he is automatically charged on his credit card, so it's much safer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 16

@Aleia W wrote:

If I do the work and send it back while the job is still technically in the interview stage, will I be guaranteed payment? 

Absolutely not. You need to be hired first, and if it's a fixed price job, the client need to put the money in the escrow. If it's an hourly job, you need to have the tracker activated. 

If the above-mentioned requirements are not fulfilled, not only payment is not guaranteed, but you won't be paid at all.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 16

Okay thank you! That's what I thought, but this was my first accepted proposal so I wanted to make sure. 

I apreaciate the quick responses! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
6 of 16

Okay, he sent me the entire document and said it needed to be done in 10 hours and then after I said I could have it done ASAP and asked him for an official offer, he declined my proposal. 

He has a 5/5 client rating, so I am not sure why he would do things this way? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
7 of 16

Who knows....maybe he is trying a new 'method'. Or, he could have arranged a friend to be a 'freelancer' and went through a transaction and faked his score. But within 10 hours, someone will probably come here and say they did a job and the client didn't pay for it. Wait for it.... Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 16

re: "so I am not sure why he would do things this way?"

Who cares?

This person knows EXACTLY how Upwork works. He was trying to get you to work for free.

It could be the Queen of England offering to hire me, but if there's no contract in place, I'm not going to do the work and submit.

You don't have time to wonder "why" the 5/5-rated client was trying to scam you... Suffice it to say: He was trying to get work done for free so that he can keep all they profit from the project while you earn nothing.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
9 of 16

@Aleia W wrote:

The client may not be trying to cheat people. Just because he sent you the file does not mean he is giving you the job.

I've often had clients send me the whole file to look at during the interview process. In fact, I've even seem clients who attach the whole file to the proposal.

He may have sent the file to everyone so that when he does hire someone, they have the file and can start right away. Or he may have wanted you to look at the file so you could give an estimate of the time and cost involved.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
10 of 16
This widget could not be displayed.

@Aleia W wrote:

Okay, he sent me the entire document and said it needed to be done in 10 hours and then after I said I could have it done ASAP and asked him for an official offer, he declined my proposal. 

Yes, those "urgent" clients are very often swindlers. Everything is so urgent that the client "forgets" to pay. It is very typical that he sends the work per message system without any contract. There are also some clients who have a legit history on Upwork but also try to get something without paying. They juggle with several freelancers (without any contract), communicate here and there, come along with different projects, send work with the message system, everything very urgent! and finally they will find a victim that we will meet here soon.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS