Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interview vs Offer? Need Advice

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 16

Hi Aleia,

I see you already received good advice from Jessica and Rene. To reiterate, the client would have to make an offer and you would need to accept it in order to have an active contract. Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

I've looked at your profile and would like to ask you to remove the Facebook and portfolio links from your overview, since they contain your direct contact details.

Let me also share a few other resources that you may need as a new freelancer on Upwork. You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also advise watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos
Want to get that first job? Then check this out...
Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
12 of 16

What is this "essay" he needs done on such short notice?

Sounds like academic fraud. ??

Highlighted
Aleia W Member Since: Nov 25, 2015
13 of 16

It was an article for a travel publication or blog post maybe? But he just wanted it edited, not written. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
14 of 16

Oh good. 

But yeah - he was looking for youto edit it for free. I get those all the time...I even had someone request that I write lyrics and poems for their book (Im an author) and they took off running when I said I wouldn't send them the content before escrow was funded. 

Bless their little hearts. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 16

re: "The client may not be trying to cheat people. Just because he sent you the file does not mean he is giving you the job."

David is correct that sending a complete file does NOT mean a client was trying to cheat a contractor.

It is perfectly reasonable and normal for a client to send a complete file to a contractor he is interviewing, or to include a complete source file as part of a job posting.

BUT in this case, the client WAS trying to cheat the contractor. The client didn't simply send a complete file. The cient ALSO was quite insistent that he wanted her to do the work on the file, and that it needed to be done ASAP, and then when the contractor asked that the official contract offer be sent, the client disappeared.

So...

Sending complete file: Good. (It does NOT mean you have been hired. Doesn't mean client is scammer.)

This particular client: Bad. Tried to scam this contractor, but failed.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
16 of 16
This widget could not be displayed.

@Aleia W wrote:

It was an article for a travel publication or blog post maybe? But he just wanted it edited, not written. 

Maybe the article was stolen as well and had to be edited because of that. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS