🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Interviews without Critical Info
Page options
cecilysorensenpr
Community Member

Interviews without Critical Info

It seems that alot of clients post limited info about the jobs. I have a phone interview tomorrow and I only know that it is a restaurant in Las Vegas in need of social support. It seems weird to me to be interviewed without knowing about the client beforehand. I can't even do any prep work. I wouldn't go on an interview in person if I didn't know the full job description. I've asked for more info but have not heard back. Any advice? 

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Advice?
You are scheduled to do an interview.

Show up for the interview at the scheduled time.

Answer their questions. Demonstrate that you are the right person to help them.

You don't need to do "prep work." Nobody else they are interviewing has additional information that you don't have.

Personally, I don't want to do unpaid prep work.

And I don't need to do that kind of thing.

When I get scheduled for interviews, I usually don't have any extra information about the project. I typically just show up and talk to the client.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

@cecilysorensenpr wrote:

It seems that alot of clients post limited info about the jobs. I have a phone interview tomorrow and I only know that it is a restaurant in Las Vegas in need of social support. It seems weird to me to be interviewed without knowing about the client beforehand. I can't even do any prep work. I wouldn't go on an interview in person if I didn't know the full job description. I've asked for more info but have not heard back. Any advice? 

I would have done - and have done - the same thing that you did, i.e. asked them to provide more details before scheduling a call. I also like to be prepared. And if I didn't hear back from them, I would assume that they weren't all that interested in hiring me, and not worry too much about it. Preferences do vary, though, as Preston already noted.

jr-translation
Community Member

Cecily S wrote:

You know that you violate the ToS if you communicate with the client outside the platform before you have the contract  in place, right?

Well I researched that topic first. A community guru said that if they wished to speak to you on the phone that was permissable so now I'm confused. 

Cecily S wrote:

Well I researched that topic first. A community guru said that if they wished to speak to you on the phone that was permissable so now I'm confused. 

You may have seen an old response, because Upwork just recently changed the rules to say that you can't exchange contact information with a client prior to being hired. You need to use the Upwork calling system (go to the message page and there's a phone icon that you can click to initiate a call). 

You should ask Upwork, community gurus don't nessacarily work for Upwork and arent always correct

re: "You should ask Upwork, community gurus don't nessacarily work for Upwork and arent always correct"

Upwork does not actually want everybody contacting Upwork Customer Support every time they have a question.

The Community Forum is immensely useful, and cost-effective.

And Upwork has extensive Help Documents.

Sein:
If you think any incorrect information has been provided here, then please feel free to offer a correction.

tlbp
Community Member

Lots of clients prefer to talk rather than write. Many are small business owners who have no idea of exactly what they want, need or can afford--that's why they are looking for an expert. Other clients have established processes but aren't interested in asynchronous communication at the interview stage. They want to see and hear you, tell you about their business (verbally) and move their project forward.

Sometimes it is worth meeting a client in the medium where they are most comfortable, sometimes it isn't. It is absolutely reasonable to decide that you will only take calls with prospects that meet certain minimum requirements. For example, you might require upfront information before taking a call or you might only take calls if the total value of the gig merits it. Some freelancers choose to not take calls at all. Don't feel like you have to do things a certain way. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members