🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Introduction Video
Page options
ivanblogger
Community Member

Introduction Video

Hello All,

A very good Day!

Have you guys been utilizing the Video Introduction feature? I was wondering what the community thinks about how these videos should be made to grab client attention or simply put, win you more jobs.

What do you think a best video be - an animated one or one where the contractor directly speaks? 
Also what do you think about the duration? - As you know there's a matter of Attantion Span! 

I would like to know your thoughts and learn. 

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Ivan,

for a video overview, you should keep in mind that the video must be very small usually 60-80 seconds. And you need to grab the attention in the first 10 seconds. 

Here is how you can divide your video

Introduction (5-10 seconds): What benefits or services are you offering? Why should the client work with you?

Business highlights (10-20 seconds): What are your best works? What client and others are saying about you?

Expertise (10-20 seconds): What types of roles, projects are you looking for? How long have you been doing what you do? What your specialties are?

CTA – Call to action (5-10 seconds): What actions should the clients take after watching your video? Have you told them exactly what to do?

hope this will help

thanks

Sagar

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Ivan,

for a video overview, you should keep in mind that the video must be very small usually 60-80 seconds. And you need to grab the attention in the first 10 seconds. 

Here is how you can divide your video

Introduction (5-10 seconds): What benefits or services are you offering? Why should the client work with you?

Business highlights (10-20 seconds): What are your best works? What client and others are saying about you?

Expertise (10-20 seconds): What types of roles, projects are you looking for? How long have you been doing what you do? What your specialties are?

CTA – Call to action (5-10 seconds): What actions should the clients take after watching your video? Have you told them exactly what to do?

hope this will help

thanks

Sagar

Thank you very much for the wonderful insights. 
So you are suggesting videos with me talking. What do you think about animations doing the exact same things you mentioned? Do you think they will bring the same results? 

Most profile videos do more harm than good. 

Yours starts off too slow and you talk too much about yourself, not how hiring you will help the client. It's too long as well.

I like the orange sofa and the blue T-shirt.

Keep that.

Redo the rest. Make it about the client, not about you. In the beginning you are very stiff and rigid... you get a bit more animated about halfway through, and let your personality shine through, but most clients won't get that far.

Thank you very much Petra!

Thank you for chekcing out the video. 

You are right, I was a bit rigid in the beginning and I feel the same about changing certain things about the recording.

Yours is an animated video. I really liked it. 
So what do you think - which one serves or could serve better based on your experience? Animated or recording, where the contractor speaks and shows him/herself? 

Thank you for your compliments about the sofa and the tshirt!

Have a wonderful day. 

Ivan A wrote:

Yours is an animated video. I really liked it. 
So what do you think - which one serves or could serve better based on your experience? Animated or recording, where the contractor speaks and shows him/herself? 

I did an animated video basically because I was given the software and wanted to try it out. I didn't give it a lot of thought, it was a rainy Sunday morning lol.

I think if you can redo yours being more relaxed and animated and smiley (like you do at times) you may want to stick with that. Your English is good and you do come across well when not looking scared. I can see value in that, especially for clients who worry about being able to communicate easily.

Thank you for the motivation and pointing out certain things to improve. 

About the animation, did you ever use Doodly? I made one intro video with that but didn't get much response. Then I decided to go full professional and made a video. 

I will definitely work on the points you mentioned. 

Thank you very much for your time. 

Ivan:
I really haven't spent much time looking at other freelancer's profile videos.

But I can tell you that my profile video has been very beneficial to me.

I hired a professional to do the filming and editing. I also used paid talent (actors). (Referring to the other people in my video. I appear as myself, by the way: I didn't hire somebody else to portray me.)

The investment has paid for itself many times over. I have had many clients who sent me hire offers specifically mention the video as something they were impressed by.

I guess I would have to agree with other Forum participants who emphasize the importance of having a quality video.

But like I said, I don't have extensive experience with profile videos other than my own and some videos I have watched that were shared by other regular Forum participants. As a client, I do not personally watch profile videos when I hire freelancers. I have to imagine that there are many clients who watch them, and many clients who don't... But if a client DOES watch a video. I think that a good video which isn't off-putting can only be helpful.

Preston H wrote:

I hired a professional to do the filming and editing. I also used paid talent (actors)..

I thought that was a school project?

It sure says it's a school project?

school project.png

re: "It sure says it's a school project"

It is entirely fiction. I wrote the script myself.

The "school project" is a narrative device that allows the video to add some human interest and levity. Otherwise the topic is quite dry.

Preston H wrote:

It is entirely fiction. I wrote the script myself.The "school project" is a narrative device that allows the video to add some human interest and levity. Otherwise the topic is quite dry.

Clever to use real 4rth grade students of the actual school

I do actually like it, don't get me wrong. It's "different" (in a good way)

Hello Dear Preston, Thanks a lot for your valuable insight.

After going through some videos, I have decided to make several changes, in
time. But one thing for sure, mine is longer than required!

Also I too checked out your intro and it is good! You covered a lot and
especially, the drawing of you in the beginning and end of the video, that
was really cool. Did you hire someone to do that? If so, I did a nice job!

Thank you again.

Ivan, thank you for your comments.

It sounds like you well on your way to having an effective intro video for yourself.

As for the artwork in the video...  No that was not done by me. That was something I commissioned.

janice_villorijo
Community Member

Hi Ivan,

I advise you to record it yourself rather than create it with so much stuffing. Video introductions are important because they will serve as a gateway for prospective clients to have a sneak peek of your characteristics.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thought it might be of help to you.  

Regards,

Janice

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths