🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Invalid opening status
Page options
ncourchamp
Community Member

Can't reply to invite

Hello,

I received a proposition to apply for a job and when i accepted and tried to submit my proposal it didn't work and I got the message :

"Invalid opening status"

I searched online, including on the forum session of Upwork, but I can't find an answer to what this message could mean. Any idea ? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Swathi,

In general, this happens when the job post associated with the invitation is no longer available or was closed by the Upwork team. You can confirm this by going to Find Work > Proposals and checking that this particular invite is not under the "Invitations to interview" section. You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

Hope this helps,

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

143 REPLIES 143
a70bd9f1
Community Member

Thank you for this response, Andrea.

I always check to confirm that my "Invitations to interview" list is empty.  However, I've encountered two instances where I couldn't accept or decline the invitation.  One of these instances affected My Stats page.  I now have one less invitation that "I relied to within 24 hours".

1. A client hired another freelancer about 10 minutes after the invitation was received, and so I couldn't submit my acceptance proposal for that invitation.  
  2. Another client sent a private invitation and followed it up with a contract a minute after, so I could only approve the contract, but not accept the invitation.

My suggestion is that the status of the job post should determine whether a freelancer replied the invitation within 24 hours or not; because it is that status that will allow or disallow a reply.  If the status change disallows a reply to the invitation, then all freelancers who were invited should be considered as replied at the time of the status change.

Hello, I am getting this same error. First tried on Chrome and tried resetting my cache and cookies. Then tried on another browser (FireFox). Then tried on my phone (android). Getting the same error "Invalid opening status" every time. This is for an invite only invitation. Is there a solution for this?

Glenel Coetzee

Hi Glenel,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your account. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Please help me I have the same issScreenshot_20211124-054644.jpgue with invalid opening status

Hello Kelvin,

Thank you for your message. 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
roeck
Community Member

I did get in touch with a team member about this and as stated, the reason always seems to be because the job is closed and/or the client has already hired someone. I would think a message such as "job is closed" would be better than "invalid opening status." Also, a notification should happen before the proposal page opens. I spent a lot of time writing up a nice proposal to a private invite only to realize I could not submit it.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

I want to note that we are not privy to a client's hiring activities. Some clients may be quick to hire for their job, while others may take their time. We've heard of stories here in the Community where freelancers were still drafting their proposals to find out that the client has already hired someone. You may check the "Activity on this job"  at the bottom of job posts to see the client's hiring activity for a job. 

Thank you for also taking the time to share your feedback about this feature. We'll make sure to share it with the team so that we can improve the experience. 

~ Avery
Upwork
khojjjaaa
Community Member

Hi there:

I just got the same message,

"Invalid opening status"

I am trying to accept an invitation with no luck,

Shamel.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shamel,

Looks like that the projects you're referring to has been closed. This is why you're getting that message.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I'm also getting these message. It's a bug, you have to fix this Upwork

Hi Flavio,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like the job you're referring to has been closed. This is why you're getting that message.

~ Nikola
Upwork
784a09d9
Community Member

Hi,

This behavius is still taking place. I really think it would help if freelancers would get a notification (email/pop-up, anything). I was used to clients taking their time in receiving invite responses and after working hard on a proposal I have received the error and later found out that the job was closed through this thread.

Cheers,

Alina

Thank you for your feedback, Alina, I will share it with our team.

If you notice the same problem again, please reach out to us (Moderators) via PM with more details so that we can investigate it further. 

~ Goran
Upwork
janicesuarez
Community Member

Hi!

I have the sam problem. when I try to accept the proposal it is "invalid opening status". Could you help me with this problem?

Janice

Hi Janice,

You're getting this message because the job is already closed. Thank you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
toad78
Community Member

I have to agree with a previous post that if a job is closed, it should say so instead of the vague error term "Invalid opening status", which isn't seen until AFTER the proposal has been attempted to be submitted.

Clicking the 'Submit Proposal' button within the email's invitation takes me DIRECTLY to the "Accept Interview" modal, where it is ASSUMED that I can apply for the job. If the job is closed, I should NOT be sent to this modal! That's just common sense, don't you think? We shouldn't have to scroll down to the bottom of the job and see the activity on it--poor UI/UX, in my opinion.

883d5f81
Community Member

Hi!

I got the same error and after refreshing the page I noticed that Job was closed. 

Thanks,

anasriasat
Community Member

Hello, 

I just received an invitation. I tried to respond to it but I am getting a message 'Invalid opening status'. 
I know that this pops up when the client has already hired someone and closed the job, But I just received an invitation and responded without any delay, Can anyone guide me on this issue?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anas,

I checked the invitation you're referring to and the project it is related to was closed. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
jeanmad26
Community Member

Hello,

I received a proposition to apply for a job and when i accepted and tried to submit my proposal it didn't work and I got the message :

"Invalid opening status"

I searched online, including on the forum session of Upwork, but I can't find an answer to what this message could mean. Any idea ?

Hi Jean,

Please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with more details so that I can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,

"Invalid opening status"

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jean, 

This usually happens when the job post is closed. You can check the original job post link to see if the post has been updated or if it's still available. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ingodtoledo
Community Member

I just experienced this today, and yes, Andrea G. is right.

The job invitation that I received was already closed and nowhere to be found anymore.
I'm guessing that the employer already hired one and they deleted the job post.

cristina_rutter
Community Member

I'm trying to submit a proposal I received an invitation for and this is the error I get "Invalid opening status" Very frustrating after spending a good deal of time on this proposal. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this error yet?

I've tried clearing cache in Chrome and restarting so far ...

thanks!

Hi Cristina,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

May be the job has been called off or someone else has been hired already.
mirelagonzalez
Community Member

I have the same problem. Someone managed to solve? 

Hi Mirela,

I checked the invite I believe you're referring to and it looks like the job post for it is no longer available. If you go to Find Work > Proposals you'll see that this particular invite is not under the "Invitations to interview" section. You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

~Andrea
Upwork

Is there anyway to close this topic ? I receive an email everytime someone asks the (same) question and I believe by now all answers have been provided. I couldn't figure out how to close it by myself.

Hi Nicolas,

It sounds like you're subscribed to this thread. You can click on your name at the top right-hand corner and select My Subscriptions to unsubscribe and stop receiving emails for each reply.

~Andrea
Upwork

I am attempting to submit a proposal... I have done this dozens of times... I have never seen this. At any rate... I am unable to submit due to an "invalid opening." 

Please help. 

Hi Jacqueline,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
9faaf97c
Community Member

Recently, I received an invitation for job interview but there is no option appearing to accept the interview and submit proposal button is also appearing dull for this job.

Can anyone help me why is it happening?

Thank You

Hi Umer,

I checked and, unfortunately, the client has withdrawn their invite. You can check this in Find Work > Proposals > Archived.

~Andrea
Upwork
clairelatourre
Community Member

Hello, 

I've go Invalid opening status when I try to answer a proposal. I emptied the cookies. Could you please check and tell me?

Thanks in advance, 

Kind regards, 

Claire

Hi Claire,

I checked and would like to clarify that the job post for the invitation you're referring to is no longer available. If you go to Find Work > Proposals you'll see that there are no invites under the "Invitations to interview" section.

You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello the upwork team,

Thank you for your help.
Have a nice day,

Claire
djseb009
Community Member

I was invited to send a proposal for a job, and when reviewing the details I could not find a way to submit a proposal. Please advise.

Hi DJ,

In general, this happens when the job post associated with the invitation is no longer available. You can confirm this by going to Find Work > Proposals and checking that this particular invite is not under the "Invitations to interview" section. You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths