Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to Apply

realizeadmin
Jennifer K Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
1 of 13

Hello!

I am new to freelancing and Upwork.  I have recently received an invitation to apply.  I responded positively to the message for a request for an interview, but I've heard nothing back from the potential client.

My fear is that I did not apply the correct way.  When I review the job post and attempt to submit a proposal the information reads that I have already submitted a proposal for this job and that I can submit a revised proposal, however, it is not listed in the proposals submitted area. 

I fear I may have already lost the job for not applying correctly, but going forward how do I handle this>  Should I resubmit a proposal; or once I've positively responded to a request for interview by replying to the message/invitation to apply leave it in the client's court to act and follow up with them a few times. 

I know clients are busy, so I don't want to disturb them, but I also want to be aggressive enough to win the job.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

marianne222
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Hi Jennifer,

I have applied to several invites that have been sent to me and I've even talked to some of the people on Skype. But sometimes as you say, they never get back to you. Or they do get back to you but you never get the assignment.

Sometimes I think they just changed their minds. Other times I think they don't really know what they are doing when you start asking salient questions about what they want you to do.

I even have one on-going gig, doing re-writes for a person and this person paid me once and I wrote WAY more for them, handed them in and never got paid, never heard back. So every once in a while I send this for a message to people who don't get back to me: "???" and then leave it at that. I do it about once every 3 weeks just to see if they will respond. Some do. Most don't.

If I were you, I'd just look for other gigs and apply for them.

I wish you luck and don't get too discouraged yet,

Marianne

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”

View solution in original post

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 13

Jennifer,

when you get an invitation to apply, you do just that (if you are interested in the job description). You write back and address all the relevant details much like you would when applying for a job in the normal fashion. The downside is that you cannot send samples. To do this, just indicate such and that you will send it directly in a message.

Usually, when you receive an invitation and respond, you can then go the message centre from where you can attach as many samples as you wish.

realizeadmin
4 of 13

Thank you, Irene. 

I have one more question for you.  What if I am not interested?  Do I mention that in a reply or am I opening myself up to potential scammers with an invitation rejection?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
5 of 13

When I decline an invitation to interview I choose one of the listed reasons from the drop down. The system sends the client your response in a form reply. If I find the job to be a scam or spam I flag it as such during the declination. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 13

@Marianne M wrote:

I even have one on-going gig, doing re-writes for a person and this person paid me once and I wrote WAY more for them, handed them in and never got paid, never heard back. So every once in a while I send this for a message to people who don't get back to me: "???" and then leave it at that. I do it about once every 3 weeks just to see if they will respond. Some do. Most don't.

Marianne, did you submit the additional deliverables on a fixed-price job? Were they contracted and the milestone for them funded? If so, you should have been automatically paid after 14 days. If you did work and submitted it under a milestone which wasn't funded you opened yourself up to risk of non-payment, as it sounds like you're experiencing now. Something to watch out for in the future, for sure. 

realizeadmin
7 of 13

Thank you.  This was truly very helpful. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 13

Hi Jennifer,

I've checked and you can find the invite you responded to in Active Candidacies, on your Proposals page. The client hasn't responded yet and might still follow up seeing the invite was sent yesterday afternoon.

Please upload your profile photo in a different resolution, and make sure to check the Help articles from the Getting Started as a Freelancer section and our Freelancer Guide. Also, please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing questionable jobs Lena compiled and posted here.

Untitled
kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
9 of 13

Jennifer, it is not uncommon that a reply to an invitation goes unanswered.  It is best to move on and hope for the best.  There are times that I have received a reply weeks or months later.  You just never know.

Good luck with your Upwork efforts.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 13

Jennifer, if you are new and receive a job invitation,  it could well be a scammer, especially if you are looking for work as a VA. This is pretty common.

If they do get back to you, be sure that you are aware of the following:

They don't need any personal information from you.

You should not have to purchase anything, software or hardware, to work on this site.  If they offer to send a check to pay for it, decline as this is a violation of the ToS and the check won't be any good anyway.

Freelancers do NOT get benefits - health insurance, overtime, etc.

If the pay looks too good to be true, it is.

They (scammers) often use the name of a real company so don't be fooled by that.

Keep all of your conversations on Upwork.

Only agree to be paid through Upwork.

Hope this helps.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS