cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to Interview that results in Phishing

trwilliams111
Tania W Member Since: Aug 24, 2016
1 of 7

I am writing to report an example of a phising scam.  Below is more detail of what happened to hopefully warn others if you have similar experience...

I received an invitation to interview from the following message within the UpWork platform:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

He gave me the web address so that I can learn about the company 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

The company's website looks legit at first, but when you read further, it is really quite vaugue as to what the company does.  The leaders posted on the site all have complete and detailed LinkedIn pages but, again, upon further examination, seems like they have created fake profiles...

I exchanged skype messages with the person and he stated if hired, payment would be made by direct deposit, he is based in Turkey and wanted to know what bank I use in North America.  

He gave me an email address **edited for Community Guidelines** to send my resume and stated if I complied, I would receive an "application" that I must complete within 24 hours in order to get the job paying $55/hour.  

Needless to say, this didnt feel right and I did not send my resume and ended the skype chat immediately.

Wishing everyone best of luck on your work with proper clients and rewards!

All the Best, Tania 

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 7

LinkedIn profiles and Skype chat messages do not account for fake clients.  Work without an Upwork contract is certainly an act of circumvention.  

ezmash
Ace Contributor
Sharon H Member Since: Jul 15, 2016
3 of 7

You should report him.  Contacting someone on Upwork and then requesting payment outside of Upwork violates ToS.

If you look in the job post, you'll see a 'Flag as Inappropriate' link in the top right corner.

trwilliams111
Tania W Member Since: Aug 24, 2016
4 of 7

Yes I should have included that in my orginal post.  I went back and flagged the job.  Thank you all for your responses!  

altafhossain2292
Md. Altaf H Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7
You should report him. Do not work without Upwork Platform . Its policy violation from upwork Rules terms and condition . Please be aware of this scammer

View solution in original post

sissy_macheva
Anastasiya M Member Since: Nov 22, 2017
6 of 7

The same thing happend to me. Asked to send resume to**Edited for Community Guidelines** I will report too

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Anastasia,

Thanks for reporting. We've already taken actions against the job posting and the client's account as they were in violation of Upwork ToS.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS