Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to interview normal?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Paola S Member Since: Jul 27, 2016
1 of 15

Hello everyone,

I received an invitation to interview for a job I did not apply to. Is this normal? The client sent out 63 invitations to freelancers. I haven't had a first job on here yet so I am a bit leery about accepting the interview. The client has good reviews but I did see they gave one star to some freelancers. I have no reviews currently and I sure don't want one star. 

Also, they want to work through google. Google calendar, email, text message. I was under the impression we were only allowed to communicate through upwork. I understand the calendar part as it involves scheduling meetings but the email and texting part I'm not sure of.

thanks in advance,

Paola

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
2 of 15

Hi Paola!

As far as I'm concerned, you can communicate with the client outside UpWork, what you can't is receive payment outside UpWork.

Now regarding the invitation to interview: yes, that's totally normal; happens all the time. If the job interests you, why not accept it? It will do you no harm. Also, I would like to believe they had a good reason to give bad reviews to previous freelancers - maybe the work delivered was crap, or they missed the milestones by a long time, who knows.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 15

Thank you, Patricia!

you're right maybe the work delivered was crap.

As it turns out I can't even accept the interview because they did not put a rate but I'm glad to hear it's normal!

I honestly haven't been on here in a few days because after sending so many proposals and all being denied I gave up on upwork so I was excited to see this message. Unfortunately, I can't even accept it. It's somewhat funny.

thanks again!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 15

Hi Paola,

Clients do invite users they find through search results to bid on their job and this is a standard process. Just to clarify, client can't send an invite to a user who already submitted a proposal for their job.

Users are also free to communicate and work outside Messages, but please follow the guidelines I shared in this thread in order to protect your payment and make sure you're working within Upwork ToS.

In addition, please read this list of safety tips, Help articles from the Getting Started as a Freelancer section and our Freelancer Guide.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 15

Thank you, Vladimir! 

I will read up on those links.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 15

Hi Paola,

You should be able to accept that invite. You just need to click accept, write a message to the client and put in the hourly rate you would charge for this job:

Screenshot_32.png

Screenshot_31.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 15

That's odd. When I click accept a red window pops up and says "error fetching fee information". I guess there is a system glitch. 

I will try again later.

thanks Valeria!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 15

Paola,

I see. Before you try again, could you please clear your cache and cookies or even use a different browser to accept this invite?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 15

ok, I tried with my phone and it worked. Thanks Valeria!

Excuse my blonde moment!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
10 of 15

I consider anyone that sends out more than 5 - 10 invites for a given job a spammer and reject them as such ... but that's me.

Anyone "seriously" looking at people's profiles for a suitable candidate wouldn't have the time to send more invites than that (unless they were scamming, spamming, time-wasters, sadists, etc. ... i.e. nothing good, in any event).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS