cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitations and interviews suddenly stopped

timur2010
Ace Contributor

Hello there!

Two weeks ago everything was great. I did not do proposals much, maybe 3-4 a week, and I got interview with some of them, also I got 2-3 invitations per week, sometimes more.

Then suddenly both communication opportunities with clients stopped. In two week I got 1 invitation and 1 interview.

I have 100% JSS, completing my job mostly with 5 star, my eligible week counting on for becoming top rated.

What might happened to my account? Maybe there is some kind of block, because of something. Maybe there some bug hapenned to my account.

Also, for these two weeks, I applied so many proposals. Now I see one guy here got his account suspended for this. Should I stop making proposals? For how many days? What number of proposals should be done per week, so my account would not be suspended.

Please help, the new interface of help center gives knowledge base only, I can not contact trough chat or open ticket as before.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nkocendova
Community Guru

Hi Tamerlan,

I've checked and there is no hold on your account in any way. Many seasonsed freelancers who have been on the Upwork platform for a long time will attest to there being an ebb and flow when it comes to freelancing, so at times you may be busy with work and at other times you may be less busy.  With regard to being suspended for sending lots of proposals, I can confirm that there is not a set limit to the number of proposals you can send. Upwork does suspend only a small percentage of users who have sent many proposals but have not made any earnings at all or have earned very very little. You can continue to send well-written proposals for jobs that you are sure you could successfully complete and excel at. Other users can weigh in on the fluctuation of work on Upwork.

~Nina

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
nkocendova
Community Guru

Hi Tamerlan,

I've checked and there is no hold on your account in any way. Many seasonsed freelancers who have been on the Upwork platform for a long time will attest to there being an ebb and flow when it comes to freelancing, so at times you may be busy with work and at other times you may be less busy.  With regard to being suspended for sending lots of proposals, I can confirm that there is not a set limit to the number of proposals you can send. Upwork does suspend only a small percentage of users who have sent many proposals but have not made any earnings at all or have earned very very little. You can continue to send well-written proposals for jobs that you are sure you could successfully complete and excel at. Other users can weigh in on the fluctuation of work on Upwork.

~Nina

Thank you guys!

I feel much better now.

Thank you Nina for detailed answer

Hello,

I've just recieved an interview early, early this more. This time the time was legit (Eastern time). The thing is this client is new and many other applicants have an invite also. I've answered the invite but did not give any extra information just to be on the safe side. After you read this, will you allow me to give iut the clients name?

Interviewing: 58

Invites Sent: 153

Unanswered Invites: 77

Hi Saloria,

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, however if your concern is whether  job posting is legitimate, you can review the helpful info shared here regarding what to be on the look out for when it comes to suspicious job postings. You can also PM me the job posting and I can have the team review it to ensure it is in alignment with our ToS.

~Nina
melaniekhenson
Community Guru

I had a dead halt through much of March, used all of my connects for my first time ever, got no headway even on the very few invites I was approached by, then suddenly got a bunch of invitations and just got a small project.

Hang in there, keep applying, be choosy where you use your connects and keep at it as things are bound to swing around again. Downtime is scary but OTOH, it can be a time for you to catch your breath, too.

mahmud-rippy
Community Guru

In 2018, so far I received 3 offers in a total. Two of them came from old clients! I have been working on this platform since 2012 but never had to see this condition lasting more than one month. This year it became worse for me!

Mahmud

Stop sweating...here is why

Profiles are cycled...in other words you are near the top in search results for a while...and then you go down again...This cycle gives everyone an equal chance, in the end, to be found in search results. It works in cycles.

For a while you are swamped with invites...and then...poof....only to change again. It happens. 

Thank you Irene!

I did not know about this

@AHM Mahmudur R wrote:

In 2018, so far I received 3 offers in a total. Two of them came from old clients! I have been working on this platform since 2012 but never had to see this condition lasting more than one month. This year it became worse for me!

You know, on the plus side, repeat clients do good things for your JSS, ultimately.

And I agree with Irene - we do get cycled.

nandees
Community Leader
Hi Tamerlane, Same happened with me few weeks ago, I researched about it and finally realized that profiles are rotated in weekly cycles, so in some week u will get many offers fr interview and then maybe 0 offer from next week.
I would say, its always better to keep on submitting proposals say 1 each day, when u do not have any ongoing projects...
timur2010
Ace Contributor

Irene and Melanie, can you tell how long this period takes?

@Tamerlan K wrote:

Irene and Melanie, can you tell how long this period takes?

Cycling profiles? I'm not sure. Maybe Irene can answer. Or if you mean between not having work, then having work, that's going to be probably a bit less consistent so just hang in there! 

Whole cycle is of 1 month
And rotates in same way
Like at 1 week u were on 5 page of search for some particular category
Then 2 week on 4 page
3 week on 3 page
4 week on 1 page etc.
And then cycle rotates , it also depends on has
What above I told shall be considered as example......
nandees
Community Leader
Has=has
Sorry fr mistake....

@Nandeesh P wrote:
Whole cycle is of 1 month.

Absolute, abject nonsense!

nandees
Community Leader

yes, Petra look at the graph at the bottom telling about the views we get.....
I guessed it from there 

From ur profile views stats u can guess ur cycle.....

Well, I definitely noticed the 1 month cycle in the past. In each 4-week period, I'd get an almost identical number of invites, but they would fluctuate dramatically week per week. I'd get nothing for two weeks straight, and then get a flood in one week and then back to nothing.

The last 2-3 months have been very crazy for me, similar to the OP. I went from ~20 invitations/month to next to nothing. I'm applying for jobs instead of relying on invitations for the first time in months. The few invites I get (~4-5/month) are of low quality or work unrelated to my primary focus.

Any idea why this might be happening?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS