🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Invoice outside of Upwork
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

Invoice outside of Upwork

Hello, 

I've been doing some work for an Upwork client. He's been paying on the platform and is happy to continue paying. However he complained that the Upwork billing system is difficult to follow, and asked that I provide an invoice as well. I'm a busy freelancer/contractor, and Upwork makes up roughly a quarter of my income stream, so I don't really have the time to create invoices for Upwork clients. Part of the reason for joining Upwork (as well as other solution providers for graphic design clients) was that the invoices are handled for me. Besides, I'd be concerned with opening a can of worms, since I can't possibly know how the Upwork fees are calculated for clients, nor would I ever want to. Any guidance? I don't want to just say "no" and risk a bad review.

Freelancers: Has a client ever asked you to create an invoice? What have you done? 

Upwork Moderator: Does Upwork provide any recommendations or guidance on best practices one way or another? Also, I'm not really following what his is not following with the billing (blind leading the blind, I guess), and maybe I can send him reports or something else generated from Upwork instead, but Upwork doesn't show freelancers what they show clients so there's no way I can help there. Is there anything that can be done to make his client experience better in regards to billing? 

2 REPLIES 2
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

Thanks for the question. Because there are many variables here and we're not sure if your client has an issue with navigating the Transaction page or would possibly prefer to have invoices created in a different way with different information, I think the safest way would be to ask them to contact Customer Support or post here in the Community, so we can get a better insight and advise/assist them directly. You can also send me a private message and provide more information so we can reach out to your client.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

You can see the invoice sent to your client by going to your transaction history and clicking on the green transaction ID on the right next to the transaction

This opens the following window

view invoice.jpg

Click on "view invoice"

The client has (roughly) the same and the invoice is identical. The client can download the PDF or print it or whatever they like.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members