cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoices - Tax ID

Pau U Member Since: Nov 10, 2015
11 of 26

I have exactly the same question. But when I have asked it they ask me if I'm talking about the VAT exemption. Terrible they are giving a service to a country and they don't care about how we declare it to make it legal... just trying to get money with a terribly bad customer service.

Anahi A Member Since: Oct 3, 2016
12 of 26
Hi Mark. Did you ever managed to solve this? I am also a freelancer in Spain lost about what to do with the CIF for upwork. They tell me upwork doesn't have a tax payer ID.
Mark B Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
13 of 26

I'd hesitate to say "solved", but I've been advised by my gestor to create invoices on a monthly basis, with Upwork's details Obviously, these invoices are never actually sent to Upwork. 

The details I use are: 

Upwork Global Inc.

441 Logue Ave.
Mountain View, CA 94043
USA
VAT ID: EU528002406

Then in the invoices, I list all the payments with the client details.

I'd stress that I am not 100% sure about this, so you follow my example at your own risk!!

But I hope this helps!

Cheers

UPDATE 2018-04-05

I've now been told that I need to create a factura for the end client (not Upwork) showing their name and address. 

14 of 26

I wrote my customer data, but saying it had been charged through Upwork with the ID 13-4241242.

Not sure where I got it from, it was 5 months ago.

Now I try to avoid working with upwork because I'm not feeling secure when working with them for that reason.  

Nobody (nor upwork neither consultant/gestor) gives an answer, so I just try to stay out while I don't get a solution for this.

BR,

Pau

Shaheen S Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
15 of 26

My company is based in Spain and we sometimes hire freelancers on Upwork. I am facing the same issue from the other end. 

As an employer, I am able to include my VAT number on the invoices.  That appears just fine, and I assume it also shows up for the freelancers.  (see attachement)

So, you all should be able to request that your clients include their VAT number on their Upwork account and it should appear on their invoices going forward (if they are willing to do that). 

However Upwork has no way for a freelancer to include his or her VAT number/ Tax ID on the invoices.  So, this is a problem for me. I'm forced to ask each freelancer personally for his or her tax ID and then manually add that to the invoice before handing it to my accountant.  Another work around could be to ask the freelancer to include the tax ID as part of their address, but then it would appear on all of their invoices.. and maybe there are some cases where they wouldn't want it to appear (if the client doesn't require it).

I also waste a lot of time discussing this issue with freelancers who don't understand and/or for whatever reason don't want to provide me this number.  Upwork should really have an option to *only* allow freelancers to apply to your job if they are able to provide a tax ID!  And it would be great to address this issue in the FAQs. I'm sure we are not the only ones suffering from this issue. I'm from the US and it's a requirement to include a TAX ID on invoices there as well... so, it's not only a Spain issue. I'm not sure how they are so successful without addressing this!

Shaheen S Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
16 of 26

PS From the technical perspective, a really easy solution here would be to add a "notes" field, where the freelancer or the client can add any information they want to an invoice.

As it is completely up to the users what they input in that field, it should free Upwork from any legal liability in terms of not being consistent in the tax info they require... 

Although this still wouldn't solve the issue of having to deal with freelancers who don't want to provide the basic info needed for us to be able to claim the expense.... 

17 of 26

Yes! That's a big issue. Specially when the other part doesn't agree with you and says you have to declare you've done business with upwork instead of him and in upwork every person you contact gives a different answer... And that's when they don't say you are asking a totally different thing like the EU VAT number... And you get an answer not related to your topic...

Terrible service...

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
18 of 26

Hi Pau,

I've checked and see our agent posted a detailed explanation regarding Upwork's role in your contracts with clients. Please refer to the message they posted on your most recent ticket and feel free to follow up if you have any questions or need further clarification.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
19 of 26

Hi Shaheen,

While freelancers can add their VAT number to their Upwork account, note that not all freelancers are VAT registered.

Mark B Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
20 of 26

@vladimir I think that's obvious, and irrelevant to Shaheen's point. But those of us who have tried to pursue this issue are used to that by now Smiley Wink

Those of us who are registered need a way of communicating that info to clients. In some local contexts, it's essential info for tax reasons, and must appear on the invoice. Businesses in Spain, for example, would benefit greatly from a way to filter out non-registered applicants (although I guess as a workaround, @shaheen, you could preface your job description with this requirement, and make it one of the questions. Would cut down some irrelevant applications)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS