🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Invoicing Client
Page options
morgan_michelle
Community Member

Invoicing Client

hi there, 

I've recently been hired for a job and I'm based in the UK. They have asked me to supply them with an invoice as they feel the one that Upwork generates does not suit their needs as it does not have a company VAT number. I don't personally have a company VAT number either so they've suggested that I put on my tax number (personal). Not feeling comfortable with this. They seem like a reputable client (not getting any shady vibes from them at all - every interaction so far has been highly professional).

Has anyone else in the UK experienced this kind of request? Any advice / recommedation would be very much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Michelle M wrote:

hi there, 

I've recently been hired for a job and I'm based in the UK. They have asked me to supply them with an invoice as they feel the one that Upwork generates does not suit their needs as it does not have a company VAT number. I don't personally have a company VAT number either so they've suggested that I put on my tax number (personal). Not feeling comfortable with this. They seem like a reputable client (not getting any shady vibes from them at all - every interaction so far has been highly professional).

Has anyone else in the UK experienced this kind of request? Any advice / recommedation would be very much appreciated!

No, I have never been asked this, nor would I supply it. Tell them that you're a freelancer and you handle your own taxes; it's really no concern of theirs. (You ARE registered as self-employed with HMRC, yes? And the job that you've been doing for this client is just a short-term gig?)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths