🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Invoicing in Germany
Page options
koteszt
Community Member

Invoicing in Germany

Dear All, having read through the related topics, I still have serious doubts how to make it right.

1. Invoices I receive from Upwork have numbers which are not in sequence, how do I hand them in to Finanzamt? Isnt it a problem? I can have an accounting at Holvi or some other online system, I can generate random sequent numbers and attach the Upwork invoice, but I am afraid that can be double accounting?

2. How do I manage my accounting as a Kleinunternehmer? Could somebody please share his/her way of doing?

3. As eligible for VAT exemption, I just add the number to the system and within some time it will automatically be applied to the invoices, right?

Many thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

Eszter K wrote:

Dear All, having read through the related topics, I still have serious doubts how to make it right.

1. Invoices I receive from Upwork have numbers which are not in sequence, how do I hand them in to Finanzamt? Isnt it a problem? I can have an accounting at Holvi or some other online system, I can generate random sequent numbers and attach the Upwork invoice, but I am afraid that can be double accounting?

2. How do I manage my accounting as a Kleinunternehmer? Could somebody please share his/her way of doing?

3. As eligible for VAT exemption, I just add the number to the system and within some time it will automatically be applied to the invoices, right?

Many thanks in advance!

1. Create your one invoices and make a reference to the UW invoice number. [Rechnung 1 - Upwork Invoice XXX]

When handing in, print out your list and affix the printed UW invoices  with your handwritten number on top.

2. I always used excel. Do not overthink it. One sheet for your earnings one for your expenses.

3. Sometimes it is easier just to do it with the VAT especially since you can easly cross the threshold. This way you will get the VAT you pay for workrelated expences back as well.

1. Create your one invoices and make a reference to the UW invoice number. [Rechnung 1 - Upwork Invoice XXX]

When handing in, print out your list and affix the printed UW invoices  with your handwritten number on top.

do you have example how it can looks like?

Marta O wrote:

do you have example how it can looks like?

In the row were you enter the delivery you simple write Upwork Invoice XXX, the quantity is 1 and then you add the total amount of the invoice you refer to in the price column. If you have several payments from the same client, you simple add several rows. Then you write the number of you invoice at the top of the Upwork invoice. But you could also just asked you local Finanzamt how they prefer it.

If you calculate the amount in EURO, keep in mind that the conversion rate keeps changing. 

Thank you very much for the very fast answer. I feel much better now with that knowledge.Smiley Happy

- calculate the amount in EURO - I should always take amount for a day when the invoice was created right?

One more question - I need to provide my income statement every 3 months and I'm simply worry, how to do it. As I know I'm not allow to send my separated invoices to my clients from Upwork. It means that I will create invoices, but I will not send them to my clients, because Upwork already did it and all is good (specially when we are talking about Finanzamt) 🙂 Am I right?

Hi Marta, sorry for commenting on your topic. Since it's long time already, did you manage to solve your question above? It's also my question, so I have no idea about it for now. Can you please share your experience for that?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths