🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Invoicing with Hourly Clients (No Manual Time...
Page options
6420801f
Community Member

Invoicing with Hourly Clients (No Manual Time)

How do you invoice and get paid when the client does not allow manual time and it's not a fixed-priced but an ongoing contract with a maximum number of weekly hours and a set hourly rate? It's amazing how this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

For example, say I make $20/hour and the max is 5 hours a week but I only worked 2 hours, how do I bill the client?

Also, if the answer is something like: "They need to allow for manual time," then that's not helpful. If the client can disallow manual time but initiate a contract, then in effect, there's no way for a freelancer to get paid.

4 REPLIES 4
6420801f
Community Member

[removed, see below]

re: "So, the client's max gets maxed out automatically?"

No.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Brian F wrote:

How do you invoice and get paid when the client does not allow manual time and it's not a fixed-priced but an ongoing contract with a maximum number of weekly hours and a set hourly rate? It's amazing how this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

For example, say I make $20/hour and the max is 5 hours a week but I only worked 2 hours, how do I bill the client?

Also, if the answer is something like: "They need to allow for manual time," then that's not helpful. If the client can disallow manual time but initiate a contract, then in effect, there's no way for a freelancer to get paid.

If you worked 2 hours of a 5 hour maximum, you use the time tracker for your work, and you get paid for 2 hours. Trying to get paid for 5 hours when you worked 2 would be considered cheating IMO. 

sjbercot
Community Member

You have to use the Upwork tracker as you work. Just as well, since manual hours aren't protected anyway.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members