🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Irritated
Page options
malreark
Community Member

Irritated

hello! i am new to the upwork platform, i have been active for about a 1.5 weeks now and i am getting 0 responses to my proposals. I have a good cover letter but i feel like the problem lies within the fact that i do not have any stats or track record within Upwork. its very frustrating because i have 10 yrs experience as an admin. I guess i am just looking for advice, how were you able to attract your first clients? i mean there are job postings where 6 mintes later and that job already has 50+ proposals! am i missing something? is there an alert i can set so i know when a job is posted??

TIA

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sjbercot
Community Member

Just to chime in and agree with Christine, a few years ago it took me weeks and weeks and dozens of proposals to start landing jobs with any regularity, and competition must be skyrocketing at the moment. Even with the perfect proposal and perfect profile, it could take weeks or months to find and establish good contracts. It's definitely been worth it for me, but you have to be in it for the long haul. Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Sorry, but lots of new freelancers have joined the platform in the past week and competition is going to be tougher than ever. Even at the best of times, it's not uncommon - even for people who do have a good track record - to go for a week or more without getting any new projects. 

Having a good cover letter isn't enough to get hired - ideally, you should write proposals that specifically address each client's individual needs. Upwork provides plenty of advice for new freelancers - you can start here, and try to read all of the other "getting started on Upwork" articles as well. Good luck.

sjbercot
Community Member

Just to chime in and agree with Christine, a few years ago it took me weeks and weeks and dozens of proposals to start landing jobs with any regularity, and competition must be skyrocketing at the moment. Even with the perfect proposal and perfect profile, it could take weeks or months to find and establish good contracts. It's definitely been worth it for me, but you have to be in it for the long haul. Good luck!

tomzilla1
Community Member

Took me 6 months before I landed a job here, and that's when the economy was good.

Oh wow! And were you actively applying for jobs everyday??
I guess I joined at a bad time on top of everything!

I was not actively applying everyday. I don't think I humanly could. Just every now and then. Just give it time, have something else as your main source of income for now. I still believe Upwork will turn things around.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members