🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is **** A Scam company
Page options
ugon55
Community Member

Is **** A Scam company

I’ve been trying to contact Support to ask about a client, or should I call them potential client who invited me to an interview but are asking questions that makes it feel like they’re scammers

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ugochi,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I’ve been trying to contact Support to ask about a client, or should I call them potential client who invited me to an interview but are asking questions that makes it feel like they’re scammers "

You are not supposed to contact Support to ask them about a client.

If you encounter a client or potential client which seems like they are a scammer, or is behaving in any way that violates Upwork ToS... Then you can use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button on the job posting page to report them.

If you aren't sure if a prospective client's behaviori is appropriate, then come here to the Community Forum to describe what you are seeing, and we can help you decide if this is something you should report.

You should understand that scammers feed newbie freelancers the real names of real companies, in order to trick the freelancers. As a new freelancer, I strongly recommend that you never do a Google search on client names or company names. That is part of the scam: Scammers want freelancers to Google these names. So don't fall into their trap. Instead, base your decisions on what you see within Upwork itself.

Thanks for your prompt response. They’ve been asking me for my bank deposit limit. I told them to take the transactions to upwork where they found me and they’re saying they want to send new office supplies like a computer to start my job with them

I have stopped responding to them

**Edited for community guidelines**

These people are simply scammers. They copied the name of a real company off of the Internet. They don't have any connection to that company.

You were too smart to fall for their silly tricks.

You did the right thing when you stopped responding to them.

If you haven't already done so, you can click on "Flag as inappropriate" on the job posting page.

You could also block them.

Thank you. I have gone to upwork to flag them as inappropriate. I will block them next. Thanks for your kind assistance
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ugochi,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
c9c1e843
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

upwork is a **Edited for Community Guidelines**company they've been charging my visa illegally 

Hi Luan, 

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. I checked your account and I can see that you're communicating with our team on your ticket. Rest assured, our team will update your ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I just had an experience today and have been trying to reach support. I did not realize until at the end of the call it was a scam. I was offered an interview and asked my name, address, and name of bank once offered a job. 

Kanndra T wrote:

I just had an experience today and have been trying to reach support. I did not realize until at the end of the call it was a scam. I was offered an interview and asked my name, address, and name of bank once offered a job. 

You don't need support for this. That is what the flagging option in the job posting is for. Support can then pull up your messages if they find that necessary, provided you kept everything on upwork as required by ToS. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kanndra,

It looks like the project you're referring to has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client's account. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members