🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Is ChatGPT killing writing jobs on Upwork?
Page options
airmanx
Community Member

Is ChatGPT killing writing jobs on Upwork?

As a top-rated plus writer, I used to receive invitations almost every day. Now, after ChatGPT became famous, it has been weeks since I received an invite. I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or has ChatGPT already started makin its impact on Upwork. I would like to ask other writers for their comments on ChatGPT and what they are doing in this situation,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It can and it can't. I'd have to read more of it, to be sure, but what I have read lacks something. Maybe it is "the voice behind the voice." I could reference different movies all day long but part of what makes my movie references different behind them is the intent.

This isn't to say that the work coming out isn't adequate, but is it good?

And one other thought, I imagine that the words are often vetted by a human author before released for publication. So changes and tweaks are most likely made, unless you are telling me that no editing goes on.

View solution in original post

89 REPLIES 89
khalidaehaab
Community Member

Ah! ChatGPT can produce human like text, but it is not capable of matching the accuracy and nuance that a human writer can provide. The power of the human mind, specifically creativity, cannot be replicated by a machine  Artificial Intelligence .

Mohammad Khalid I wrote:

Ah! ChatGPT can produce human like text, but it is not capable of matching the accuracy and nuance that a human writer can provide. The power of the human mind, specifically creativity, cannot be replicated by a machine  Artificial Intelligence .

The text can come off as very human, as it is sourced from people's actual writing (if only said people knew about it, but alas...nah).

So actually, the writing comes from human beings and therefore can have the same nuance or emotions as a human has:  specifically, those of the unknowing, original author(s).

It can and it can't. I'd have to read more of it, to be sure, but what I have read lacks something. Maybe it is "the voice behind the voice." I could reference different movies all day long but part of what makes my movie references different behind them is the intent.

This isn't to say that the work coming out isn't adequate, but is it good?

And one other thought, I imagine that the words are often vetted by a human author before released for publication. So changes and tweaks are most likely made, unless you are telling me that no editing goes on.

James,

Read this post that Samer and I are talking about the AI revolution. I post a lot of details that you will find interesting.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Buzzfeed-amp-ChatGPT-Thoughts-From-Writers/m-p/1239146#M...

I m interested your work detel pliz

I m Ayesha Naeem I m interested hend writing job

My friend is Bangladeshi, and we currently reside in Bangladesh. Recently, he traveled to Malaysia on a work visa. While in Malaysia, he became interested in freelancing and intended to create an account on Upwork. However, during the account creation process, he used Malaysia as his location. Despite submitting his passport and visa for verification, it wasn't accepted.

Now, he's unsure about whether he should use Bangladesh as his location on Upwork, even though he's residing in Malaysia. Alternatively, if he needs to verify his Malaysian location, he's curious about the documents required by Upwork for verification purposes.

There is actually a law firm running around the internet soliciting writers and artists whose content may have been stolen by AI.

I agree, it won't replace good writers (yet); the main problem is going to be that a lot of people who can't write - at all - are going to think that they can join websites like Upwork and pass themselves off as writers. If the good writers are buried under a sea of ChatGPT-using wannabes, it will affect invitation rates and the probability of proposals being read. 

true

Possibly. I have a very foreboding, sinking feeling about AI. I don't like it. This technology can do many jobs in its currect incarnations as well as a human. I'm not a fan, and do believe it will replace most jobs within the next 10 years unless someone wakes up and shuts these projects down.  I know that sounds severe, but this tech is already writing code, interpreting the results of x-rays and CAT scans, and creating artwork.

In the medical arena, it's already (in its toddlerhood, if not infancy) doing a better job of diagnosis than humans. Would you really prefer that more people die unnecessarily so as to preserve the opportunity for humans to do the job poorly? 

Medicine is an area that AI tools can significantly improve patient results and will continue to improve.

I like to write poems. Please give me a chance to write poems.

Hello I m interested your work 

I m Ayesha Naeem I m interested hend writing job
yofazza
Community Member

I have a few personal projects (websites) that involves articles in English and my native language. The English ones are usually bad. ChatGPT, even the current free test feature, helps.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who used to hire "affordable" writers just to fill their website with English articles without blatant copy-pasting, now turn into ChatGPT.

But I don't know, maybe Google will eventually use another AI to accurately determine content written by AI, and rank it accordingly. Which means the ChatGPT won't be useful for this purpose anymore.

what they are doing in this situation,

Shakesperean ChatGPT said:

For one may argue, 'tis but a tool to aid

The human pen, not replace it entirely.

Perchance, new opportunities may arise

In curation, editing, and strategy.

Thus, the question remains, what path to take?

To suffer the loss of jobs, or to adapt

And thrive in a changing world, the choice is yours.

My personal opinion about AI in general is basically the same with what most people would say, it currently can't replace humans on some level. You can tell ChatGPT to create simple PHP scripts, but currently not the "complex" ones. It will greatly help someone learning to progam, but can't replace real/creative programming jobs. I find it like talking to computers in some sci-fi movie, it's smarter/better than humans in some aspect but limited in other.

But I don't know, maybe Google will eventually use another AI to accurately determine content written by AI, and rank it accordingly. Which means the ChatGPT won't be useful for this purpose anymore.

I think we can assume that they are already trying, if not successfully implementing, since Google's checklist for questions to ask yourself before posting in the wake of the last update included  "Was it written by a human?"

kev86
Community Member

Hello, Imran

As a writer, it's true that invites are down. But I don't think ChatGPT has anything to do with it. For me, I've noticed that invites go down in January but somewhat pick up as the year progresses. That's just my personal cycle. Maybe business and clients are still charting their course for the year and we may see more jobs in February moving forward. 

I was recently hired by 2 clients and they made it clear they don't want writing that's done by ChatGPT. I've used ChatGPT and, for sure, it has a repetitive/robotic pattern of writing that any keen reader/writer can notice. Some people may use it to write proposals and cheap articles but I don't think any top-notch client wants ChatGPT-style of writing for their book. People still desire writing that personally connects to the reader. 

5f181a04
Community Member

I hope you are right about a January decline; then things picking up after that. As a newer member, I have had a lot of activity on my profile after proposals; but I'm just not having a great deal of success.  

I think your experience just reflects the way things have been heading for Upwork, not the impact of ChatGPT (or other LLMs) per se.

I've noticed a decline in 'real' work opportunities for some time, but it's really fallen off a cliff over the last few months or so. Much of my work is now coming from elsewhere. I think most serious clients have now departed the platform; certainly the ones who are willing to pay professional rates.

In sum, there aren't as many decent work opportunities on Upwork as there used to be, and I've noticed the situation get considerably worse in recent months. Since you're in the US, your rate will likely be much higher than most remaining clients in your category will want to pay.

There's occasional high-quality clients out there but they're few and far between these days.

melaniekhenson
Community Member

It might be killing jobs for basics/uncomplicated copy such as SM posts. 

For the type of writing I do, I'm not worried. AI is not there yet (by itself, without lifting others' copy). By the time it is, I hope to have transitioned to a retirement/novelist space anyway.

ChatGPT takes others' work and hands it over to you. For snippets or for very standard lingo that everyone uses, users may be able to claim ignorance and innocence fairly easily. But any more than a sentence or two that is generic enough that one can't exclusively pinpoint it to one original source, and/or if the copy is too specific in certain ways, I predict we are going to start seeing lawsuits everywhere from thousands of authors of lifted and sold (via this app) material. I have been wondering how that is all going to shake out. 

When you DL the app, do you have to check a box saying you know the material is sourced from others' work without their knowledge and consent? 

This would all just make me so nervous. Somebody's going to get it when the plagiarism accusation s hits.

Now if the app literally created its own words? From its own "head"? (Or processor?) Then I might be nervous, LOL. Or maybe just fascinated. But that's not the case at this point.

I couldn't agree more!

Melanie,

Yes the current API writing applications create original writing using pattern recognition not scraped websites. The writing ability in my opinion is almost at an average writer's level. As an expert, you are safe because professional clients will want expert articles and content not average to stay ahead of their competition.

However if a large company has 100 writers and now only needs 20 to get the same job completed, there is less of a need for freelancer writers because now there are 80 new writers seeking a job.

This will NOT be an overnight process which will give all of us some time to increase our Skill set to stay ahead.

Some are guessing - only guessing - that the Microsoft Suite since they own 49% of OpenAI will integrate AI into Microsoft products which corporate America uses.

It's going to get very interesting!

That's interesting! I'm not worried about it being competition, and I realize that we live in a tech world, so it's not that I'm mad at this. 😆 I'm actually pretty fascinated, and I believe that on some level, art will always be art and utility will always be utility, and there is room for both, at least for now.

Since you enjoy the topic, here are a few national AI headlines:

- AI makes a B grade on Wharton MBA test.

- AI makes 1020 on SAT exam.

- AI passes medical state exam.

- AI passes several section of state law exam.

- AI codes web site.

- AI writes full business plan.

- AI writes a novel in a day.

Those that embrace the new tools will do extremely well especially if they are at an expert level in their field. I think it's fun also and why not continue to learn and evolve.

Fun Fact:
You know all those Dune novels, movies and mini-series?

Frank Herbert's far-future galaxy has no A.I.

Humanity fought a war over this. Those on the side of A.I. lost.

So there are giant sandworms. But no robots. And no A.I.

Watch out for the sandwords 🙂

I'm a little surprised by this--not because of how well it did, but because I can't see any reason in the world that AI shouldn't be able to make near perfect scores on the first several items you mentioned. The SAT is extremely mechanical and a 1020 is significantly below average.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Where did the AI program get its data? I would expect the program to do all of this since it has the data. It's not as if it created anything. 

You keep talking about embracing these tools. And you are posting on Upwork. That lends the impression you are telling people to violate the Terms. I'm sure that is not your intention, but you know how people misconstrue posts. There is no place for AI at Upwork.

BTW, I didn't make the rules.

Jeanne,

I am an AI Marketing Economist - you are VERY incorrect that AI is not used on Upwork.

What you are probably referring to is AI generation which has no place on Upwork which is very different than having to understand AI to complete Blockchain, Fintech, Edtech, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and other highly technical skill sets which there are hundreds of Experts on Upwork getting paid hundreds per hour.

Where does AI get it's data - it depends on the tools. There are hundreds of API application tools that are industry or skill specific. I think you are referring to ChatGPT-3 which works completely different than AI API applications; not even in the same ballpark.

I thought you were including such programs. If you were not, then it is my error.

Per Valeria's post a few days ago, it seemed the only restriction on AI usage was that it must be disclosed to the client.

If by average writer you mean "average person who is not a writer but is able to read and write in English," I would agree with you. What I've seen from AI platforms has been at about the level of a mediocre 7th grader, which sadly is the reading level most commonly recommended for targeting a general audience in the U.S. 

However, though the grammar and ability to construct sentences is decent, every piece I have seen has been either entirely devoid of information (each paragraph being a general concept followed by a few more sentences each stating the same concept in different words) or riddled with factual errors. 

I'm with you. I don't like this stuff. Sure, it's not "there yet", but it is already creating impressive artwork, writing code, and interpreting x-rays. It can also write essays. So, yeah, I don't like where this is going.

It is not creating; it is using data from creations that exist. No matter how you spin it, it is not creating, it is plagiarism, which is why many businesses are moving to ban it. Others will love it, the same clients who don't care much about content and are sold it will save money. We have all seen the terrible results online and in documents

williamtcooper
Community Member

Imran,

ChatGPT-3 creates low quality plagarized work and would be equal to entry level writing. It is good for brainstorming ideas if someone has writers block.

ChatGPT-4 which is estimated to be released this summer will synthesize text, voice and video and contain 10 to 1000 times the dataset might be a different story. It may compete against Entry and Intermediate Jobs.

However, ChatGPT is usually used in conjunction with industry specific API applications that compete against Entry and Intermediate Jobs and is 99.99% plaguarism free. An Intermediate to Expert writer is needed if the client wants quality work versus just poor to average content.

My advice is for EVERY person to upgrade their skills as medium through enterprise clients start using these tools themselves at work and have less of a need to hire for Entry and Intermediate projects.

By the way, I am an AI Marketing Economist and micro influencer on LinkedIn. If  you have any other questions, let me know. Have an amazing day!

Hi, William. I'm curious about that 99% plagiarism free comment. Are you saying the text is not mined from websites/platforms? (IOW, authors?) How then is the copy obtained?

Melanie,

Yes, for ChatGPT-3 the text is mined from websites which is why there are bad plagarism issues.

However, the API applications don't scrape websites, but instead uses trillions of data points that use pattern recognition and not previously written sentences or phrases. These phrases are then tested to make sure that the phrases or text have not been used before.

Companies are starting to use these API tools and during the course of 2023 will require Experts to finish the job, fact check, etc.

It seems like maybe you're mixing copyright (which has to do with form, including replication of language and structure) and plagiarism (which has to do with borrowing ideas uncredited).