🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is Editing of project requirements possible o...
Page options
rolludesig
Community Member

Is Editing of project requirements possible once project is posted?

is it possible to add additional requirements to a project posting once project is posted? i just noticed it that few hours back i had posted a proposal of a designing project where landing page was needed but i again checked the project now there are many additional things added..

is this possible?  if yes this need to be disallowed as well since i posted my proposal for designing but now few additional things are added which are not from my field?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Rahul:

The answer to your question is: Yes.

Clients may edit job postings at any time.

And that's okay!

The proposal you sent is NOT a contract. It is the beginning of a conversation.

If the client sees your proposal and is interested in working with you, then he will contact you. You will discuss the project with the client, and agree to a contract. The things you said in your proposal (such as your rate) and the things the client mentioned in the job proposal (such as the task requirements) may indeed change as you discuss things and decide on actual contract details.

okay editing the requirements is fine but posting it as a designing project and then adding backend coding, hosting etc to it is wrong.

and atleast we should get an intimation that client has changed the requirements via email.

it was by chance i checked a project and noticed the changes

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rahul,

In addition to what Preston wrote, please note that most sections of a job post can be edited. However, the Client cannot edit the job category or change the job from Hourly to Fixed-Priced (or vice-versa).

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

re: "...editing the requirements is fine but posting it as a designing project and then adding backend coding, hosting etc to it is wrong"

Well, yes.

There are things that are just silly.

But there is no way for Upwork to do anything about that. If the user interface allows for the job description to be edited, then it is pretty much an "all or nothing" prospect for that particular field. There is no way for Upwork's software to differentiate between a realistic change versus a silly change.

The good news is that this isn't a systemic issue.

We do not encounter clients doing this kind of thing in a systemic and problematic manner.

If it was ME PERSONALLY who had sent a job proposal, I would still be happy to have the client contact me. I would tell the client what types of tasks I would be willing to work on, and which types of tasks she would be better off hiring other freelancers for. Which is really no different than what I do now. When I bid on jobs or respond to invites, there are often project requriements that involve things I do not do. I simply explain what parts I can work on, and explain that I am available to work on the project as a member of a team.

If it was ME PERSONALLY who had sent a job proposal, I would still be happy to have the client contact me. I would tell the client what types of tasks I would be willing to work on, and which types of tasks she would be better off hiring other freelancers for. Which is really no different than what I do now. When I bid on jobs or respond to invites, there are often project requriements that involve things I do not do. I simply explain what parts I can work on, and explain that I am available to work on the project as a member of a team.

okay i will keep these things in my mind next time i post a proposal 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths