cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is No Feedback Equivalent to Bad Feedback?

tonyarhr
Tonya R Member Since: Jan 24, 2017
1 of 19

Hi!

So my success rating mysteriously dropped recently, and I have no idea why, other than the possibility that some clients elected not to leave any feedback.  Does Upwork consider no feedback the same as bad feedback? 

If so, this is frustrating because, based on bonuses paid and client messages, they have all been very pleased with my work.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

No , if that were the case I wouldn't have 100%

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 19

Tonya, I believe a 'pattern' of closed contracts without feedback can lower Job Success. Normally, 2 jobs might not be a 'pattern', but if you don't have many jobs under your belt, then perhaps it would be.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 19

Tonya:

Depending on what you consider "bad feedback"...

...sometimes no feedback can be WORSE than bad feedback.

At least in terms of how it impacts your job success score.

I always want feedback from clients, even if it isn't perfect or even if it is what some people would consider poor feedback.

That's nearly always better for my job success score than no feedback.

But in terms of how a potential client may react to seeing your work history, I think no feedback would seem better than bad feedback.

tillymonster
Ace Contributor
Tilly P Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
5 of 19

Yes, no feedback lowers your JSS score. I have about 10 of 50 jobs that left zero feedback. Believe me, I tried all I could to get them to leave positive feedback! My score went from 98% to 90%. Now, I have a client who apparently was unhappy and decided leaving bad feedback was the way to express that Cat Mad and I am now kicked out of Top Rated freelancer land. It's absurd how it calculated and why should we care that much anyway? I'm willing to bet I still get just as much work and it makes no difference at all. 

I also have to say I am enjoying not getting a million invitations to interview now, I'm guessing due to my profile being dropped from the top of searches. My "reponsiveness" has also always been off, it's said <3 days since it was added a few years ago? I regularily reply within 24 hours! I've put in so many tickets about it I just gave up. I digress... 

If you're like me and close the contracts because of non-responsive clients, expect the score to go lower and lower. Then you get some not-great feedback and it goes even lower RAPIDLY. I'm choosing to ignore the JSS right now.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 19

@Tilly P wrote:

Yes, no feedback lowers your JSS score. I have about 10 of 50 jobs that left zero feedback. Believe me, I tried all I could to get them to leave positive feedback! My score went from 98% to 90%. Now, I have a client who apparently was unhappy and decided leaving bad feedback was the way to express that Cat Mad and I am now kicked out of Top Rated freelancer land. It's absurd how it calculated and why should we care that much anyway? I'm willing to bet I still get just as much work and it makes no difference at all. 

I also have to say I am enjoying not getting a million invitations to interview now, I'm guessing due to my profile being dropped from the top of searches. My "reponsiveness" has also always been off, it's said <3 days since it was added a few years ago? I regularily reply within 24 hours! I've put in so many tickets about it I just gave up. I digress... 

If you're like me and close the contracts because of non-responsive clients, expect the score to go lower and lower. Then you get some not-great feedback and it goes even lower RAPIDLY. I'm choosing to ignore the JSS right now.

I thought you said you were leaving Upwork?

Anywho, TR people can have a rating removed so I don't know if you still have time. That customer that gave you bad feedback is unfortunate since they had 2 contracts open with you If there is still time I'd kill one of those.

tillymonster
Ace Contributor
7 of 19

Leaving Upwork will not be my choice at this point. How do you land jobs with a 75% JSS? I'm now on a nice little Upwork-induced vacation. I have worked over 50 jobs with nothing lower then 4 star feedback oh and steadily held the top rated title for YEARS! Doesn't mean anything when you have clients who dissapear and decide not to leave you feedback. The score also goes lower with paused contracts with long-term clients! It's absurd. The lack of feedback on contracts with non-responsive clients should be expunged from my profile. I shouldn't be held responsible, but with Upwork I've noticed the freelancers are the ones who suffer most.

I've been here since oDesk so I know a thing or two. It's pretty obvious the 20% fees changed on new contracts are what scared away all of the good work for the most part. I've had to beg for work, which is mediocre at best since June 2016. It's a shame. 

BTW: those two contracts with low feedback? Well, I negotiated to change to 4-star feedback. He knew it was unfair and inaccurate because my work is really good, I'm *very* responsive and reliable. It's too bad Upwork doesn't know it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

@Tilly P wrote:

I have worked over 50 jobs with nothing lower then 4 star feedback

1.  4 star feedback is bad feedback
  2. you do have less than 4 star feedback
  3. presumably all the feedback that you had removed was less than 4 stars
tillymonster
Ace Contributor
9 of 19

Um, 4-star feedback is NOT low feedback. I usually get 5 star ratings but was making an example. The feedback I had removed showed "project was canceled" as a comment, which I feel meant nothing and didn't need to be included. Had I known Upwork would have replaced it with "feedback removed" I NEVER would have requested that "perk" being a Top Rated freelancer. Just another example of Upwork caring more for the bottom line and not freelancers. 

Please don't make comments that aren't accurate, we have enough of that here.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 19

@Tilly P wrote:

Leaving Upwork will not be my choice at this point. How do you land jobs with a 75% JSS? I'm now on a nice little Upwork-induced vacation. I have worked over 50 jobs with nothing lower then 4 star feedback oh and steadily held the top rated title for YEARS! Doesn't mean anything when you have clients who dissapear and decide not to leave you feedback. The score also goes lower with paused contracts with long-term clients! It's absurd. The lack of feedback on contracts with non-responsive clients should be expunged from my profile. I shouldn't be held responsible, but with Upwork I've noticed the freelancers are the ones who suffer most.

I've been here since oDesk so I know a thing or two. It's pretty obvious the 20% fees changed on new contracts are what scared away all of the good work for the most part. I've had to beg for work, which is mediocre at best since June 2016. It's a shame. 

BTW: those two contracts with low feedback? Well, I negotiated to change to 4-star feedback. He knew it was unfair and inaccurate because my work is really good, I'm *very* responsive and reliable. It's too bad Upwork doesn't know it.

You mean you got low feedback and asked your client to change your feedback to something better?

If that's the case, it doesn't change the client's original "private" feedback, which was probably bad, and will be affecting your JSS.

(Also, as a client, I've never had a freelancer try this on me (because it's rare for me to need to give less than 5 stars anyway) but if they did I would refuse and then I certainly wouldn't work with that freelancer again. If I've given less than 5 stars I've thought very hard about it.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS